How do you make a Standard TR4 handle

I think that I'm interested in having a go at the odd sprint etc and whilst I'm reasonably happy in getting the drive train sorted I would like to have a much better understanding of the modifications that are recommended , by those that know, to the steering and suspension etc to make the car handle at speed on a reasonable surface. I maybe wrong but lowering the car seems to be an early job but using what springs and what shockers? Roll bar dos and donts?Can anybody give me guidance or steer me to a source of recommended reading material on the subject?  

Your thoughts appreciated

Many thanks 

Rog

The Roger Williams book “ How to Improve tr2/3/4a” has a lot of useful information as of course do Revington Tr, who are pretty close to you.

Register shop does not appear to have this book, but it seems to be available from the usual suspects.

Iain

I'd suggest a chat with Revingtons. You'll need to fatten up your piggy bank;) if you decide to modify. 

Rog

i suggest you try it first. If it’s a standard road going class you should be in class 1

too many mods and you could fall into other classes which then leads to more mods and expense. 

We will be having updated regs soon for2020 

but check out the 2019 regs as a guide and getting started guide. 

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/motorsport

motorsport UK are also relaxing the driver safety requirements for road going. So check out their regs when published. 

You will be welcomed to the clubs champs. 

H

Before ordering all the parts from suppliers, it is better to understand the "why" and the "what".

I can recommend two books:

https://www.amazon.de/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/0912656468  it has a Triumph on the front page

and

Tune to win - carroll smith

I would start with the first one, which has some stuff about beam axle cars.

And if you got the clue from these books, you maybe have a better judgment of what to buy and what not.

For example I did wrong in the beginning and failed to mount the wheels properly so that they do reach the ground.

74183653_2549569188411573_72571763685536

Thank you all. 

I will get hold of the Williams and Puhn books for a good read before putting my hand too far in my pocket. Mick Richards kindly sent me a copy of his bump steer paper some time ago, I can nearly understand it, and I will be looking at this over the winter. I'm installing a rear bulkhead and a catch tank at the moment in readiness for getting the car technically acceptable. I have a good engine so I'm already committed to have a non "standard "car but my aim is to get the chassis upto a compatable standard - preferably with most of the wheels remaining on the deck for most of the time.

Many thanks for you inputs - I'll keep you posted or more likely I'll be back with more questions

Best Regards for now

Rog