Indicator & Horn Switch after rack & pinion conversion

I have converted my steering to rack & pinion and am now looking for ideas as to what to do with my horn and turn indicator switches. I had originally thought about retaining the original system by devising a mechanism which would hold the centre of the hub in position similar to the original. I still think this would be possible but I may not get round to doing it so need another solution. This solution will probably not retain the hub. Let's have a few ideas.

It is impossible to keep the indicator head static Des, as there is no way you can clamp the inner stator tube while still allowing the outer shaft to rotate.

Bastuck make a slip-ring device you can fit which retains the original switch functions but the head goes round with the wheel and you lose self-cancelling.

Your only other options are to have switches on the dash or to somehow fit a stalk,  though the steering hub arrangement doesn't leave much space for that.

Here is a recent thread on the topic:

Thanks Rob.

This is a consideration but because the hub still turns I've been avoiding it so far. In the meantime I'd like to know if anyone has come up with an alternative. For example if I replaced the wheel with a wood rim without using the normal bakelite hub then the options are a dash mounted switch or a stalk switch mounted on the column. With that in mind are there any nice solutions or even another?

Des

I have used MK2 Mini stalk setup, this has both indicator/horn/headlamp flash and on the other side wiper/wash as well, takes a bit of work to make a cover for it but its a neat solution,needs some 7 core trailer wire to extend everything back to the dash.

FWIW I have read somewhere someone has come up with an electronic remote version to operate everything from the original control head though I cant find the reference work now.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
43 minutes ago, stuart said:

FWIW I have read somewhere someone has come up with an electronic remote version to operate everything from the original control head though I cant find the reference work now.

Mentioned in Registrar's report in latest TRaction (317) which refers to the magazine of the TR Register Australia access from here https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/sidescreens/104SidescreenAugSept2019.pdf.

Hoping to persuade the guy to write a detailed article soon.

Mike

4 minutes ago, mike ellis said:

Mentioned in Registrar's report in latest TRaction (317) which refers to the magazine of the TR Register Australia access from here https://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/sidescreens/104SidescreenAugSept2019.pdf.

Hoping to persuade the guy to write a detailed article soon.

Mike

Thanks Mike, knew I`d seen it somewhere.:lol:

Stuart.

Thanks guys. Yes I've seen the article and it's another possibility. Keep the ideas coming as you may have gathered before I finally decide which way to go I want to make sure I haven't missed something. Any and all suggestions welcome no matter how silly or way-out they seem.

Des

Des

How about this indicator / dip switch with headlamp flash function and push button horn on the end that will clamp directly around the column? You would not need to use all its functions.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/heavy-indicator-dip-horn-stalk-assembly-500mm

I have a simpler version which (I modified so that it fell more easily to hand and ) is indicator only (picture below). 

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/column-mount-indicator-switch-black

Miles

switch.jpg

Edited by MilesA

Miles hi. Yes I tried the heavy duty one from CBS but it was huge so returned it as unsuitable and had in mind the simpler one you've used from them. So what did you do with the horn, did you retain the original one? Nice looking car.

Des.

Hi Des, Here are a couple of photo's of my solution, afraid the pics are not too clear but I used a stalk from a Ford Transit (don't laugh), extended the wires so have left and right indicators, (no self cancel) and horn button. No self cancel is not a problem as an extended index finger when returning the wheel to straight ahead easily taps off the switch. Hope this helps, Bill.

0008.JPG

P1010745_0532ab.jpg

P1020156_0884a.jpg

3 hours ago, DesNoble said:

Miles hi. Yes I tried the heavy duty one from CBS but it was huge so returned it as unsuitable and had in mind the simpler one you've used from them. So what did you do with the horn, did you retain the original one? Nice looking car.

Des.

Des

Because of the replacement steering wheel,  a PO had located a horn button on the dash. Had no problem using it in anger on the rare occasions when I needed to. It would leave a gaping hole if I moved it though. Billy's solution may an option if not too large. On of the reasons for modifying the arm on the simple column switch was so that its body did not obscure the dials in any way.

Miles

Billy and Miles,

These are good looking solutions and lovely looking cars. Strangely no one has suggested the old fashioned dash mounted switch, so that would indicate to me that the column mounted stalk is the one to go for.

As an aside, what size is your wood rim wheel Billy. I would like to put a smaller wheel on for ease of access but don't want to make the steering too heavy, and also your window mounted rearview mirrors, is the visibility through the side screens good enough for these? Is there a better location for these.

Hi Des,  My steering wheel is 14 inches diameter and with the steering rack fitted is very light and easily parked, I can turn the wheel with one hand when stationary. I have attached some pics of the mirror, the view rearwards with sidescreens fitted is perfect, the mirror arm is slightly angled forwards so as to clear the sidescreens when opening the door fully. It is held on with one stanchion screw (no drilling required) and over the years has never moved. hope this all helps, Cheers, Bill.

P1020153_0881a.jpg

P1010744_0531ab.jpg

P1020676_1237a.jpg

Hi Bill, 

Thanks for the info, you've now helped me with three of my queries which I've been mulling over for weeks. One last thing: are your mirrors and mounting brackets off any particular car?

Des

On 11/19/2019 at 3:01 PM, DesNoble said:

Billy and Miles,

These are good looking solutions and lovely looking cars. Strangely no one has suggested the old fashioned dash mounted switch, so that would indicate to me that the column mounted stalk is the one to go for.

Des, just to complete the discussion. I did have a dash mounted switch but in today's fast moving traffic realised I felt more secure with hands on the wheel and an indicator stalk.

Miles

Thanks Miles, I'm heading down the stalk solution but it's good to have negative feed back as well. I can forget about harbouring any thoughts about the dash mounted switch.

Regards.

Des

James. I'll have a look, there's a Harley Davidson shop not far away. Actually I saw a host of interesting pics on the web and some nice solutions (and some expensive ones!).

Des.

It's worth doing a search for mirror solutions for sidescreens on here as there are several threads and even more solutions suggested!

I have gone for the Revington column mounted stalk solution. Haven't used it in anger yet but you can reach the stalks without removing a hand from the wheel. That suits what I do with my car!

Sorry Ben, I missed your post as I was looking at my emails. Thanks for the photos, very helpful.  I'll have a search under that topic. I tried before I posted my question but found nothing which surprised me. 

Regards.

Des.

On 11/23/2019 at 9:53 AM, DesNoble said:

What do you do with your control head?   Do you just let it swing freely or is it fixed and turn with the wheel?

Des.

Without the stator tube, (I have a R&P conversion) there is nothing to hold the control head in place so it turns with the wheel.  Which means I have no self cancelling either.

I have fitted a loud bleeper across the indicator light and that stops me accidentally leaving the indicators flashing.

Rgds Ian