So picked up my TR6 today and drove it the 69 miles home and she didn’t miss a beat! Has only done 350 miles since total nut and bolt restoration. A bit of a clunk from the back that I need to investigate, and plenty of rattles which comes with age I guess? Is it common to get the exhaust fumes in the car, as Mine did coming home? Lots of appreciative looks from other drivers just added to my grin factor! Now need to fit the classic tracker but may need to take it somewhere for that.6EB93BF2-316D-4B5A-8A4E-E3AC4A037FB3.thumb.jpeg.df9b6d62e9e4a89e0c1712360d835095.jpeg

24590451-192F-45E6-BE42-E448C5D88ACC.jpeg

0DA8D855-E2A0-48D0-BF64-AAB2B1CB30C5.jpeg

Hi Chris,

Enjoy your first TR.

I have to say that if as you say the car has only 350 miles since a last nut and bolt resto I would NOT expect any clunks from the rear nor exhaust fumes into the car . I have side screen cars with much worse fitting weather gear than the 6 and yet I get no fumes inside. Given you have only driven the car home a journey of no more than 70 miles I would be asking the sellers about these issues and about any warranty in place.

I can imagine you spent a significant amount of cash as it looks a very nice one.

Did you get an inspection report about the car before purchase? Perhaps before too long it might be worth doing so based on the result of talking to the seller.

These are not issues you should have on such a fresh car and do require to be looked at and a good result expected. from the seller.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Chris

As said I'd drive back the 70 miles and ask the seller to sort them out which I'm sure they will or you have the right to reject her.

Despite the issues she looks a lovely car.

The interior is a perfect match for the blue :wub: tempted to do the same when the time comes.

Andy

43 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Chris,

Enjoy your first TR.

I have to say that if as you say the car has only 350 miles since a last nut and bolt resto I would NOT expect any clunks from the rear nor exhaust fumes into the car . I have side screen cars with much worse fitting weather gear than the 6 and yet I get no fumes inside. Given you have only driven the car home a journey of no more than 70 miles I would be asking the sellers about these issues and about any warranty in place.

I can imagine you spent a significant amount of cash as it looks a very nice one.

Did you get an inspection report about the car before purchase? Perhaps before too long it might be worth doing so based on the result of talking to the seller.

These are not issues you should have on such a fresh car and do require to be looked at and a good result expected. from the seller.

Rod

Went through it’s mot yesterday and the tester was very impressed with the chassis and underneath, so don’t think it’s anything major? It was a private sale so no warranty. Also have a photographic record of the restoration.

Hi Chris, great looking car, on a recently rebuilt car there’s  a lot of settling and some retightening of fixings may be necessary. It’s worth checking the exhaust has not dropped where it goes through the chassis breastplate at rear and also the mounting bolts for the lever arm shock absorbers to the chassis bridge. These need to be very tight to avoid movement.

Chris

31 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Hi Chris, great looking car, on a recently rebuilt car there’s  a lot of settling and some retightening of fixings may be necessary. It’s worth checking the exhaust has not dropped where it goes through the chassis breastplate at rear and also the mounting bolts for the lever arm shock absorbers to the chassis bridge. These need to be very tight to avoid movement.

Chris

Must admit it does sound like the pipes knocking the chassis!

Hi Chris,

your TR looks lovely, I love the interior!

The clonks I guess are from your wire wheel, the central caps are not tight enough, 

just give them some more hits with the hammer on the locking tool.

If they go more tight also do that on the front wire wheels.

Are they octagonal or winged, they look winged to me....

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Chris 

Your TR looks fantastic congratulation on finding that one.

To be honest expect a few rattle's and knock's as things bed in and settle down.

Fume's in the car is a known with many TR6's and I believe more common with the "wheelbarrow" style of exhaust. I have a standard one on mine and do still get fumes in the car, more noticeable with the hood up.

Don't be too concerned but as its a recent rebuild periodic checks for things loosening are a good way to go.

Enjoy your car and don't forget rattles were an original factory fitment :lol: 

Brian

The source of your fumes is usually thought to be the “wheelbarrow “ exhaust. I had them for years and suffered from fumes. Changed to standard exhaust a couple of years ago and the fumes disappeared.

But I did think about getting the tail pipes reshaped to pass out each side about where the standard exhaust does. That might solve the fume, problem as well. All to do with airflow. JJC

H Chris, car looks great, don`t worry about the smell of exhaust fumes, had my TR6 for 20 years and still get that smell from the exhausts, it`s what you get when you have two sports pipes like these. If you only drive in summer months it will all disperse, but in the winter with the top up can be a bit nauseous, so keep the top down !!! 

The clonk from the back could be from the half shafts, I had these when got my car. You need to get down the back, and underneath, and do some tightening up on all the nuts, etc, that cured mine.

Colin.