FITTING WINDOW WINDER HANDLE

I have a TR5 which has the pin missing from the window handle to the square drive.   As simple as I am sure it is, I cannot see how the handle is fitted as the hole in the handle only goes through the centre of the handle and not through the plastic spacer.   Please help!!!!

Thanks

Adrian

Get a length of 1/8th  dia  rod . Cut it nearly in half of the correct measurement. Push the escutcheon in as far as you can, then the handle exposing the securing hole. Push the length of the rod in to the cut and wiggle it back and forwards till it snaps off.Bingo you are there.I tend to go in the opposite hole with a thin blade screwdriver to hold all things together and knock the rod into the hole pushing out the screwdriver. Job done.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

3 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Get a length of 1/8th  dia  rod . Cut it nearly in half of the correct measurement. Push the escutcheon in as far as you can, then the handle exposing the securing hole. Push the length of the rod in to the cut and wiggle it back and forwards till it snaps off.Bingo you are there.I tend to go in the opposite hole with a thin blade screwdriver to hold all things together and knock the rod into the hole pushing out the screwdriver. Job done.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

+1 for this method, by far the easiest way.

Cheers Rob

• 1 month later...

Bent nose pliers are very helpful, I also cut a turn off the wide part of the spring which helps enormously and provides plenty of pressure in my opinion

1/8" rod (welding stick will do) with a small nick cut in it will be the most easy method.

Surgical mosquito forceps and the like will not grip firmly enough without too much of the pin being held to push through or the forceps/pliers are so thick that access is restricted.

On an original winder with an original spring and escutcheon you might be fine but it's still a pain. The newer winders have the drilled too deeply (near) the door frame which can make the job a swine to the point that you might have to shorten the spring slightly to get it to fit.

I have done this a few times and there are a few variables which can combine to make it a PITA. I stopped using the original springs and replaced them with a slice of expanded polystyrene 15mm pipe insulation . If cut to the correct length it is hidden by the cup and it doesn't cut into the door card. As it is split it can even be fitted after the pin is inserted.  I don't suppose it existed in 1955.

Best regards

Rog