First Track Experience

I've spent a great day today with my 17 year old Grandson Bailey, on a half day track day at Cadwell Park in my Race TR6.

He's been with me to virtually every race since he was about 12 and has been a huge help in both building and preparing the car and acting as Pit Crew at all the races, including at Spa, Belgium. He's been driving the car in the paddock to Scrutineering, etc for the last 18 months, but this was time for him to have the opportunity to try it out at speed on the track.

Thanks to the organisers, North Humberside Motor Club, for allowing him to take part. First session was him in passenger set with me driving to find his way around the circuit. Then, in the still damp conditions, him driving with me in the passenger seat. He took to it immediately, with only one minor early indiscretion, which I think taught him to focus and respect what he was doing.

Over several sessions, as the track slowly dried and he became more familiar with the cars characteristics, his confidence grew and his pace increased. By the end of the event he was well on it and really trying hard. No misdemeanours and car safely home. Couldn't have asked for more.

He had several genuine favourable comments from other session drivers about his conduct. One very Happy young man, grin from one ear to the other, and one very proud Grandad. 

See photo.

Dave McD

IMG_2648.JPG

Well done to Bailey and also to you Dave for the encouragement you've given him. He impressed me at Donnington at the Swinging 60s race the other week, he applied himself to the jobs he'd been set and completed them before coming back for a chat with us "old uns". I'm sure he'll have a great time with you and look forward to seeing you both around the circuits.

Mick Richards