and what sort of ally cover you want - an SAH cover will set you back a fortune, a Triumphtune less of a fortune (if you can find one), and alloy others types (polished or black) are available new from the regular suppliers.

Rechroming - it's a matter of personal taste.

rocker cover.jpg

this was mainly for a 4cyl but relevant to the 6cyl as well.

So i guess what cost re chroming is the question also in the past because of the thin metal some re chrome was not too good.

Roy

Around here, rechroming would certainly be quite a bit more expensive than the cost of a typical new cast aluminum cover.  Beyond that, the cast covers typically seal better, and reduce valve noise.

Ed

Hi Roy,

The TR6 aluminium covers often lack the baffle to reduce oil loss, not sure if this also applies for the 4-cyl covers.

Also, I would like the machined groove for a (silicone) O-ring gasket.

If you decide for rechroming, make sure your cover is straight.

Regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Hi Roy,

The TR6 aluminium covers often lack the baffle to reduce oil loss, not sure if this also applies for the 4-cyl covers.

Also, I would like the machined groove for a (silicone) O-ring gasket.

If you decide for rechroming, make sure your cover is straight.

Regards,

Waldi

+1 for the machined groove to take the O ring, best aid to easier servicing since the spin on filter. No more messing about evo sticking cork gaskets on only to have them fail when you have an emergency.

Chris

If you can’t source a cover with a grooved gasket an alternative is to use a silicone gasket held in place on the cover by RTV gasket cement. A light smear of grease in the cylinder head stops it sticking and it’ll last for ages. 

That's what I did--glued a silicone gasket to the flange of the cover.  I think it should be reusable indefinitely.

It's true about the missing baffle, at least on the aluminum covers I've seen.  A baffle can be added, though.  They usually contain some kind of mesh material to trap oil mist.

Ed

DSC05429a.JPG