Assistance please - clutch cross shaft

Folks - has anyone got an original clutch cross shaft to hand they could measure for me?

I am in the process of rebuilding a box & bought a new cross shaft (geaseable bearing version) as I had to cut the old one out due to the normal sheared pin problem. As always I drilled the fork & shaft to take a roll pin then assembled to the box which is when the problem arose. 

When the locating bolt is fitted on the offside of the box & the fork retaining bolt is fitted the actual fork ends up in the wrong place, I.e. one of the release bearing carrier locating pins is almost touching the side of the front cover extenion & the other stands off by about 9mm - certainly wouldn't be able to fit the bearing carrier as it is.

I could do with the exact measurement from the centre of the grove that takes the shaft retaining bolt near the end of the shaft and the centre of the hole that takes the fork retaining pin - both of which can be seen in my third photo.  I'd like to be well armed before I phone the supplier again as this is already the second cross shaft from them as the first was faulty for a completely different reason. 

I am using the same fork in the box so the only thing new is the cross shaft (& retaining pin)

Thanks in anticipation

Clutch fork.jpg

Cross shaft locating bolt.jpg

Clutch cross shaft.jpg

Hi John,

this does not excuse the hole being possibly in the wrong place but could you use the shaft without the end centralising bolt. 

I'm sure they do not use them on the TR6. It's absence may allow the fork to float and align better 

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger, yes I could except becasie this is the greasable kind of cross shaft  I'd have to plug the two holes in the casing where the locating bolt goes at the end of the shaft -one is tapped & one isn't. It's  not the biggest engineering challenge but I'd rather the shaft was fitted as  it was designed to be if you get my drift.....

1 hour ago, John L said:

I think the fork is on the wrong way round, the chamfers on the top should go to the back?

John

If you rotate the fork then the 9mm off-set one way would become 15 - 20mm the other way.

I would suggest that they have either put the shaft hole in the sarong place or it is the wrong shaft.

Roger

To conclude this thread - a friend of mine in the local group has lent me an old cross shaft for comparison & the difference is obvious, & as I suspected the hole is about 4mm too far one way which makes it unuseable with the designed locating pin in the end. Following on from what Roger suggested earlier I have realised that as I have double bushes in both sides of the bell housing if I press the ones on the offside together rather than with a gap for the locating bolt the fork can self centre & I can still use the grease nipples as designed...it's good to talk!

Shaft comparison.jpg

Hi John,

I would also go with the floating shaft as Roger suggested, I have done this many times. Just be aware, there should be a loading spring on the operating lever end of the shaft. Part No. 144578

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/clutch-systems/clutch-system-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Cheers

Graeme

Thanks Graeme thats reassuring, there is a spring on the earlier 4/4A boxes although it has a different part number & in all honesty I never understod why it was needed as the locating pin at the other end made the shaft a fixed item with no lateral movement possible.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/clutch-systems/clutch-system-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Do you think the sping is for pre loading one side of the clutch fork or just as an anti-rattle?

On 11/16/2019 at 1:46 AM, RogerH said:

Hi John,

Almost certainly anti-rattle.

Roger

Agree with Roger, probably anti-rattle.

24 minutes ago, dingle said:

Is the clutch shaft different for RHD/LHD cars?

Berry

No, both the same.

Cheers

Graeme