Hi Foz

You can fit a 'DIN' style radio to the original console by simply enlarging the existing hole, but be aware once done there is no going back ! The PO has done this on my 6, but point to look out for is that the newer style radios are larger ( obviously) and they tend to have a chassis which you should fit into the hole in the console first and then you slot the radio into that. With my radio its so big that you have to fit the radio and chassis in as a single unit because there isn't the 'wiggle room' to do it properly. This does then need a lot of fiddling about to get a firm fit. Only my experience with my radio others may be different. 

If I was doing it from scratch I would be tempted by one of the old style radio's with new giblets to get you blue tooth and iPod connectivity if thats what your after.

Also did this.. picked a digital radio with blue tooth and then wired a woofer on the back shelf and 2 tweeters on the kidney pads

Tim

Hi All

Seem to be a couple of options if wanting to upgrade the capabilities of the old unit.

Fit a modern unit, but it may look a little out of place.

Get the old unit fitted with modern internals, as already mentioned. Couple of companies that supply off the shelf units or will update your own to various specs. But if you go full house it aint cheap, go Bluetooth, USB support and DAB and you are into the thick end of a thosand quid.:o (other suppliers may be cheaper :))

It is a choice i'll face fairly soon and i would prefer the original look but i very much doubt i'll be going the 1000 quid route.

Cheers  Keith

I installed the Classic 200 from Classic Car Stereo a couple of years ago and I've been very pleased with it - DAB, Bluetooth, etc. The only advice I would give is to install an external aerial - the screen mounted one that comes with the radio isn't up to much. I use a magnetic one mounted on the boot, so I didn't have to make any holes in the bodywork and can hide it away when not in use.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/classic-car-stereos/autosound-classic-car-stereo/ccs-spindle-mount-dab-radio/

Cheers

Steve

Another option: If you don't use the glovebox, take out the liner and fit a couple of brackets in there.

The car is small enough to reach across from the drivers side.

Jerry

Thanks Chaps for your prompt response.

I think the retro product may be the best option - it may be more expensive but may save some grief further down the line. However,  spending around £1000 is too extravagant for my budget and I'll base my research around a period style product with a few mod cons.

Will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

If you can get a period stereo then adding an aux input can be as easy as soldering a jack to the volume potentiometer. 

Tim

I'm going for what seems to be referred to in the industry ads is a "mechless", which I guess is short for no CD player mechanicals. These come in DIN opening size but are shorter so the rear does not come too close to the tunnel, which makes for easy install and removal as required.

Cheers,

Alf

14 minutes ago, silverfox4 said:

I'm going for what seems to be referred to in the industry ads is a "mechless", which I guess is short for no CD player mechanicals. These come in DIN opening size but are shorter so the rear does not come too close to the tunnel, which makes for easy install and removal as required.

Cheers,

Alf

This is what I used as the hole was already cut by the P O https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/ancillary/car-audio/caliber-rmd030-12v-slimshallow-depth-usbsdaux-fm-stereoradio

It’s been in for about 3-4 years and I’ve never used it! Handy for charging the phone though.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, SteveB21 said:

I installed the Classic 200 from Classic Car Stereo a couple of years ago and I've been very pleased with it - DAB, Bluetooth, etc. The only advice I would give is to install an external aerial - the screen mounted one that comes with the radio isn't up to much. I use a magnetic one mounted on the boot, so I didn't have to make any holes in the bodywork and can hide it away when not in use.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/classic-car-stereos/autosound-classic-car-stereo/ccs-spindle-mount-dab-radio/

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Does this one fit into the original configuration of holes in the H frame, ie centre rectangle and two separate knob holes? If so this looks interesting. Also do you have a link to the magnetic aerial you are using?

Many thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean

Yes - it fits into the original H frame holes, just like the original radio.   The aerial is a magnetic DAB aerial with SMB connector, like the one in attached link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-Car-Aerial-SMB-Adapter-Magnetic-Mount-Antenna-with-5M-16-4ft-Cable/312734225435?hash=item48d069941b:g:LFoAAOSwNkxdV4fA

I ran the cable under the carpet into the boot and it is thin enough to fit past the boot seal when in use. The aerial is about 30cm tall. Best to check the SMB connector is still the right one for the radio. I found Classic Car Stereo very helpful over the phone.

Hope the attached pictures help.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2749.JPG

Edited by SteveB21
9 hours ago, jogger321 said:

You can't go wrong at that price!

If you would like to keep the original look of the old radio it is possible to add the features of a modern unit.

I am doing one now that will have music from smart phone by Bluetooth,  a USB charging port, a port to play music from a USB stick, and pseudo sterio. presumably you can also get DBA  and FM radio through the phone as well. It will be $250 (AUD) plus post.

https://www.facebook.com/bernard.doherty.54?fref=gs&__tn__=%2CdC-R-R&eid=ARDhZMNX99igyHIu8ydyZxUw6IFRt8mQF3rUlSyAArezCGzW2pA92et054ZWreyIulqEdpeNtOeE6uSv&hc_ref=ARQKdlbLjBb_m1-W6bAP74K_TatqZxDWX42tIs-DrJrZ-bM5H-0O2bI2FEvqlbY9EZY&dti=113396802089088&hc_location=group

Maybe an option for the originality set.

Kev,  a search indicates your Bower purchased Caliber is branded several ways on this end . One is a Blaupunkt model @ C$24.99 and another calledTagital< both look the same and cheap.

In the US, Walmart had them at $10.99 at one point and there are YouTube posting on these. From what I gather, Bosch sold the brand in 2016 to a Chinese entity and we now now see the outcome.  Not the Blaupunkt we knew...but  now have something to check out.  Thanks for the Bower link.

Alf 

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:22 PM, SteveB21 said:

Hi Sean

Yes - it fits into the original H frame holes, just like the original radio.   The aerial is a magnetic DAB aerial with SMB connector, like the one in attached link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAB-Car-Aerial-SMB-Adapter-Magnetic-Mount-Antenna-with-5M-16-4ft-Cable/312734225435?hash=item48d069941b:g:LFoAAOSwNkxdV4fA

I ran the cable under the carpet into the boot and it is thin enough to fit past the boot seal when in use. The aerial is about 30cm tall. Best to check the SMB connector is still the right one for the radio. I found Classic Car Stereo very helpful over the phone.

Hope the attached pictures help.

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Steve. Very helpful.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:49 AM, jogger321 said:

I have one of these in my TR and to be honest its Ok, my only criticism is the FM station strength is not good at holding the reception, its got Bluetooth and you can charge your phone etc.

Amazing value for money think I paid £15 delivered  

9 hours ago, Andy1966 said:

I have one of these in my TR and to be honest its Ok, my only criticism is the FM station strength is not good at holding the reception, its got Bluetooth and you can charge your phone etc.

Amazing value for money think I paid £15 delivered  

Andy was it easy to install ? I'm not great with electrical wiring...do you have to convert to modern car electrical sockets for the power and speakers?

11 hours ago, jogger321 said:

Andy was it easy to install ? I'm not great with electrical wiring...do you have to convert to modern car electrical sockets for the power and speakers?

I've just bought one so will let you know - shouldn't be that difficult.

I spent way too much brain power on this.  I even got a mate of mine who designs sound systems for movies and he also gave up...

The summary was, I wanted retro looks, no visible speakers but awesome sound, combined with a very noisy car, especially when hood was down so I was looking at the impossible.

In the end, I bought a big portable wireless speaker with Bluetooth and connected a USB 5amp line to the back of the inner cabin to power it.  The speaker has a strap and this holds it in place in case I need to slam the brakes on or am hitting a corner a bit too hard.  The music is using iTunes music and Tunein Radio as app's on my phone, also noice up and down is from the screen.  I would suggest a nice biggish screen for easy scrolling.  The phone screen uses the car mode so nice big buttons.  I tried voice activation  on the phone but noise usually was too much.

I am so happy with this design and also the onboard battery on speaker means I also have music outside of the car, ideal for a picnic.  

Not retro but I am really content.

Rich