Looking for replacement: Bracket for Glovebox Check Rod

I can remeber when I rebuilt my car and converted it frm L to RHD this bracket and the associated stay rod were a ridiculaous price to I fabricated my own using the LHD one as a pattern.  For the rod I used a length of brass brazing rod.

Rgds Ian

• 1 month later...

A related question, how is the rod attached to the glove box lid? A photo would be great.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, Fireman049 said:

Here are photo's of the glove box lid and bracket. The third photo. shows where the check rod attaches to the lid.

Tom.

DSC_0172 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0174.JPG

DSC_0173 - Copy.JPG

Thank you. My tab has broken off.

I replaced the broken tab on my lid by using a chrome bracket used for holding the glass on to picture frames. It needs a hole to be drilled and a small rebate to be cut out in the timber of the lid. It will never break again. You need to ask who thought of bending the liner tab up in the first place ??

Richard & B.

14 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

You need to ask who thought of bending the liner tab up in the first place ??

Richard & B.

That was Bert h in the dash trim shop. 

Apparently he fitted the brackets to the very early cars that had a separate screw in lid bracket. 2 different companies made the glove box rod to the lid bracket .

they ran out of the lid brackets and Bert, rather than stop the line just snipped and bent the door plate.

when the bosses saw it rather than go mad  saw a saving and I understand promoted Bert to supervisor and carried on with his idea.

4 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

How do you find out historical snippets like that ?  It makes the forum so strong.

Thanks Richard & B.

Sorry Richard

just my very vivid imagination.

i was told a long time ago - so long as you said something with conviction and a straight face anything could be true. 

1 minute ago, iain said:

That’s your street cred blown H!

Hmmm

i fear so........  :mellow:

it was an educated guess :ph34r:

I woke up this morning and was thinking that I could have been taken for a ride. So when I checked it out on the forum, it turns out to be a bit of fun.

The weather is dry here in Sussex so maybe I will go for a real TR ride this afternoon.

Thanks Richard & B.