J Type overdrive harsh shifting

Hi Gavin,

your work on the NRV may have left residual pressure in the OD causing it to stay in OD even though the inhibit switch was open.

When you remove the GB check the OD casing as quite often this would cause it to burst/crack.

Roger

9 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Gavin,

your work on the NRV may have left residual pressure in the OD causing it to stay in OD even though the inhibit switch was open.

When you remove the GB check the OD casing as quite often this would cause it to burst/crack.

Roger

Hi Roger.

I had been running through the gears on the hoist to see if there was any indication that the OD was now working, which it was, and I'm sure it disengaged (with a thud) prior to shutting the motor down and lowering the car to the floor.

It certainly does sound like its the one way bearing that has gone so will do as you suggest when dismantling.  This may be a while off yet as I'd hoped to have the OD sorted so that I could use the car over the remainder of the summer.  Unfortunately that's not going to happen now as I have some construction work to finish on  my house prior to the winter and I can't put it off any longer.

The best plans eh?

4 hours ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Hi Roger.

I had been running through the gears on the hoist to see if there was any indication that the OD was now working, which it was, and I'm sure it disengaged (with a thud) prior to shutting the motor down and lowering the car to the floor.

It certainly does sound like its the one way bearing that has gone so will do as you suggest when dismantling.  This may be a while off yet as I'd hoped to have the OD sorted so that I could use the car over the remainder of the summer.  Unfortunately that's not going to happen now as I have some construction work to finish on  my house prior to the winter and I can't put it off any longer.

The best plans eh?

Sorry to hear this with summer coming to an end. I often wonder why Triumph used overdrives rather than a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Surely 2 extra gears would have been cheaper to add than the complex electrical/hydraulic/mechanical overdrives. 

Anyway the use of overdrives on vehicles  has now been decided by history- not that that's of any use to TR6 owners.

3 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Sorry to hear this with summer coming to an end. I often wonder why Triumph used overdrives rather than a 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Surely 2 extra gears would have been cheaper to add than the complex electrical/hydraulic/mechanical overdrives. 

Anyway the use of overdrives on vehicles  has now been decided by history- not that that's of any use to TR6 owners.

Mike, I must say a 5-speed conversion is looking pretty attractive right now....

26 minutes ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Mike, I must say a 5-speed conversion is looking pretty attractive right now....

The thought's occurred to me too. I'd keep the  the old Triumph gearbox with OD to sell with the car - in a decade or two.

I spoke with the repairer today and explained what had happened.  He said that he hadn't come across a complete failure of drive before and that it wouldn't happen with loss of the sprag clutch as this would only affect reverse.  He suggested there may be an issue with the new o-rings on the solenoid causing it to stick so I'll take a look at that before I pull the box out.

Fingers crossed !

On 2/5/2020 at 12:20 PM, KiwiTR6 said:

I spoke with the repairer today and explained what had happened.  He said that he hadn't come across a complete failure of drive before and that it wouldn't happen with loss of the sprag clutch as this would only affect reverse.  He suggested there may be an issue with the new o-rings on the solenoid causing it to stick so I'll take a look at that before I pull the box out.

Fingers crossed !

Simple checks first. Borrow a good solenoid and test it. 

My J type OD failed with all sorts of symptoms. It was the solenoid.

11 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Simple checks first. Borrow a good solenoid and test it. 

My J type OD failed with all sorts of symptoms. It was the solenoid.

Not the solenoid unfortunately John :(:( (see above).

Edited by KiwiTR6
fixed emoticons