Rear Bumper

Hi All

Silly issue with my rear bumper.

Its a not new repro so in no way perfect but its going back on for the time being.

But i can't get the joint seal thing to look neat, see pic.

As i tighten the nuts it squidges out is its quite soft.

So I could just leave the nuts much looser so it doesn't squidge or cut the end off, trim it and then glue it back in place. But does anyone sell a harder plastic version that doesn't squidge out or is there another solution.

Ta

Keith

Bumper Joint.jpg

Keith I had same problem made worse by me liberally coating the gaskets with wax oil prior to bolting them up. In the end I dug my old ones out and cleaned them up. Possibly you could use impact adhesive to stick them to one side or other of the joint to hold them in shape while tightening them up ? 

The last time I did a TR6 rear bumper I had precisely that issue.  I refitted the original bumper gaskets that were made of harder material. - or had they hardened with age?

Suggested solution - I have not tried this method.

Someone told me the trick was to glue the plastic gasket to one end of the bumper in exactly the right position loosely clamped by the other bumper section , let it cure then tighten up.  The gluing resists the squidging you are getting.

Cheers

Peter W

PS    Ditto to Graham's post.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Try sticking it in place with clear silicone sealant. Silicone will hold it in place and resist water ingress, unlike Waxoyl etc, which acts as a lubricant as well as resisting water.

Nigel