I have had oil dripping out of the hole in the bottom of the gearbox and thought it was coming from the  crankshaft oil seal. I have the gearbox out and inside the housing is covered in oil. I have taken the flywheel off and it is pretty clean and can not see oil on the rear of the flywheel. If it was leaking from the rear seal would it just cover the inside of the bell housing.  Also I was thinking of putting a Racetorations oil catch tank on is the connection to the side of the engine just a push fit.

Mike  Redrose Group 

Is the oil inside the bell housing clean or is it black? If the former it is coming from the gearbox, there is an oil seal where the gearbox main shaft enters the gearbox, check whether there is oil around the seal. If the oil is wholly black, then it's engine oil, quite possibly the RMS and/or the cork seals at the rear of the engine block. However, it maybe both engine and gearbox leaking.

Rob

Hi Mike,

the core plug where the TR4 snorkel fitted is a tight push fit.  It can be fun removing it. Somehow you need to drill a hole in it to put in some sort of extractor.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/external-gearbox-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Behind the casting - item 60 there is a seal - item 62 and a gasket - item 61  - replace these whether needed or not.

Is there oil on the inside of the snout of the bearing carrier  (60). If yes then the seal is/was leaking. If not then the mystery is raveling in front of you.

On the crank the rear scroll oil seal only sort of works when the engine is rotating. at a stand still and if pointing up hill you may well get a drip passing through.

Have you considered the Christian Marx lip seal. In theory this should work well.

Or if you stay with the scroll then consider the Australian method  http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/technical/scrollseal.htm

Rather than just a catch tank why not refit the TR4 snorkel and use a small catch tank with filter

Lastly does your GB leak?  It could be oil being blown forward from the drippy GB.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mike,

the core plug where the TR4 snorkel fitted is a tight push fit.  It can be fun removing it. Somehow you need to drill a hole in it to put in some sort of extractor.

http://www.theorycircuit.com/pulse-width-modulation-circuit/

Behind the casting - item 60 there is a seal - item 62 and a gasket - item 61  - replace these whether needed or not.

Is there oil on the inside of the snout of the bearing carrier  (60). If yes then the seal is/was leaking. If not then the mystery is raveling in front of you.

On the crank the rear scroll oil seal only sort of works when the engine is rotating. at a stand still and if pointing up hill you may well get a drip passing through.

Have you considered the Christian Marx lip seal. In theory this should work well.

Or if you stay with the scroll then consider the Australian method  http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/technical/scrollseal.htm

Rather than just a catch tank why not refit the TR4 snorkel and use a small catch tank with filter

Lastly does your GB leak?  It could be oil being blown forward from the drippy GB.

Roger

I don't see how a pulse width modulation circuit will help Roger ?

Bob.

....or it could be nothing to do with rear crank or front gearbox and be oil dribbling down from a p*ss poor fitting rocker cover gasket.

Wipe the back of the head clean and run the engine, that shews up any dribbles from the rocker cover.

Peter W

On 11/10/2019 at 11:58 AM, Graham Harris said:

Most likely leaking from the lay shaft cover plate?

Graham 

i have found this twice. [ different boxes ]Easy fix but it is box out.