Engine "as fitted to TR6" for sale, eBay

20 minutes ago, Peter V W said:

Do my eyes deceive me or does the front plate include an engine mount?

without further info I would assume it 

is from a 2.5 PI saloon.

Doesn't the thermostat housing point to saloon origin as well....

Filler plug/Bleed valve on the thermostat is ex Spit 1500 and is quite useful for the racers who fit low height full width radiators.

Yes it looks like it has a front engine plate with engine mounts - easy to saw off.

It also has a 45D distributor without a tacho drive.

So that'll more than likely be a saloon engine post 1974.

Peter W

So am i correct in thinking if you are looking for an engine to use a basis for rebuild this would be the type to go for i.e.  strengthening rib on block and the 'fire rings' 

27 minutes ago, Graham said:

So am i correct in thinking if you are looking for an engine to use a basis for rebuild this would be the type to go for i.e.  strengthening rib on block and the 'fire rings' 

The answer depends on your own preferences. If this is a late 2.5 PI saloon engine as has been suggested, it will have an engine number starting MG. Many  six cylinder TR owners would strongly prefer to have a CP or CR series engine, whichever is correct for their car. I was recently looking for a Spitfire Mk3 and turned down a car which had a Dolomite 1300 engine fitted; it was obvious from the engine number. I soon found another car with the original engine. Of course others may not be so fussy but a 'non original' engine may narrow the range of potential buyers if the car was put up for sale.

As for the 'fire rings' on the head gasket, there are mixed views about whether there was ever  much of a problem with head gasket failures even before Triumph introduced the recessed block and new gasket.

Just my thoughts...

Nigel

On 11/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, Graham said:

Yes so long as the crank thrust washers haven’t dropped out.  
Peter W

On 11/7/2019 at 9:48 AM, Nigel Triumph said:

The answer depends on your own preferences. If this is a late 2.5 PI saloon engine as has been suggested, it will have an engine number starting MG. Many  six cylinder TR owners would strongly prefer to have a CP or CR series engine, whichever is correct for their car. I was recently looking for a Spitfire Mk3 and turned down a car which had a Dolomite 1300 engine fitted; it was obvious from the engine number. I soon found another car with the original engine. Of course others may not be so fussy but a 'non original' engine may narrow the range of potential buyers if the car was put up for sale.

As for the 'fire rings' on the head gasket, there are mixed views about whether there was ever  much of a problem with head gasket failures even before Triumph introduced the recessed block and new gasket.

Just my thoughts...

Nigel

Hi Nigel.

I worked for a Gasket company called Coopers Mechanical Joints Ltd for the OEM market, you will known them as J Payen Ltd for the after market, same product off the same tooling. The blocks and cylinders heads were not very rigid on CP engines, hence this is why they were strengthen and fire rings added as per formula 1 car engines which they also made. There were too many warranty claims. I would always prefer a CR engine especially a very late one as it had the last of the BL mods. But I am not certain that they cured all the problems!!!

Bruce.

36 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Nigel.

I worked for a Gasket company called Coopers Mechanical Joints Ltd for the OEM market, you will known them as J Payen Ltd for the after market, same product off the same tooling. The blocks and cylinders heads were not very rigid on CP engines, hence this is why they were strengthen and fire rings added as per formula 1 car engines which they also made. There were too many warranty claims. I would always prefer a CR engine especially a very late one as it had the last of the BL mods. But I am not certain that they cured all the problems!!!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

That's interesting, I had never heard such a clear explanation of why Triumph switched to recessed block and different gasket. Certainly makes sense, and no doubt at Coopers you were in the firing line to solve the problem.

Thank you for clarifying.

Nigel

On 11/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, Graham said:

The strenghthening rib is not a buying argument. I have yet to hear about an incident not having this rib caused some kind of engine failure.

The fire rings limit the piston selection in case you want to tune-up to 2.7 L or in case you need to take away material from the top. There are modern gaskets (not payen) for oversize pistons available which fit fine on a non-recessed block.

Jochem

On 11/8/2019 at 9:46 PM, astontr6 said:

Hi Nigel.

Bruce.

knowing this makes me really happy because I did never understand the restorers choice for this type of engine for my TR instead of an originally one. He spent lots of money to do a fine rebuilding, especially in preparing the engine but went for a MG one. Now I know why.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have a MG numbered engine (used as a temporary replacement in my TR6 CC engine) and it has NO recessed block. My thermostat housing now has a bleed screw (the highest point of the cooling system).That motor also has no heater control valve.Regards,Michael.