Car cover

Hi 

As I don't have a garage I have to keep my TR outside - I use quite a good quality cover. But whenever I take the cover off there is usually moisture on the bonnet and boot-lid.

This can't be good for the paintwork. And I am thinking that someone out there might have found a way to overcome this problem. Is here some inner cover that would absorb moisture? Or should I replace the current two-year old cover? Or is there a type of cover that would not have the moisture problem?

Any advice re. keeping car outside throughout the winter would been appreciated.

Best Wishes

Ernest 

When I bought a De Humidifier for my garage I was amazed how the bucket filled up with water every few days even during the summer! I had to fit a hose pipe out through the garage wall which waters the garden...Car covers just trap the moisture in I'm afraid, it needs air to circulate! 

As I've advocated in respect of dehumidifiers, ventilation is a abetter renmover of moisture, and its abscence is, as you say, the cause of wetness under a cover.      Whatever its bizarre nature, the Lanmodo must get five stars in respect of ventilation!

John

Any car cover which is close fitting to the car bodywork ie lying on it, risks causing micro blistering as the moisture is trapped and then evaporating over time (Stuart an experienced restorer will be along shortly and give you the low down on it).

If your car is on your drive then why not use an outdoor Carcoon ? normally a couple of used examples available on e bay, I've seen them going at about £400 region complete with the integral fans which will even dry your car if you put it in wet. (In the example below the owner forgets to use the drying facility).

All you need is a mains lead feed to plug into...oh and the fans are about 8" dia computer rated so the power used is milliamps I reckon less than £30 a year, how cheap do you want good moisture free storage for ? 

Mick Richards

Pretty much all of the car covers that fit close will end up promoting moisture on the surface of the car and with temperature variations day to night will Im afraid very often promote "Micro blisters" on your paint, especially prevalent if its been painted in the last 20 yrs or so.

Stuart.

Stuart,

Does this include the breathable (non-waterproof) dust covers that one might use when the car is in a garage? Put on a dry car of course

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Stuart,

Does this include the breathable (non-waterproof) dust covers that one might use when the car is in a garage? Put on a dry car of course

Tim

Depends how dry cold or warm your Garage is I suppose.

It's worse than you think.

I went and measured the Temp and humidity in my well ventilated garage this week 11 deg and 97% Relative Humidity at 2pm, now feed that info into this Dew point calculator

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/dew-point

0.5 yes half a degree drop that's all it would take to "trip" the dew point... at 4pm the temp had fallen to 9.5 deg and there was condensation forming on the underneath of the bodyshell floor so the car is going into the Carcoon (only an indoor model...cost £240 e bay used (not very) inside the garage this weekend.

If you have an attached garage to the house with low level heating and the temps can be controlled to minimise overnight temp drops from say 12 degs maybe a couple of degrees or the humidity can be reduced through dehumidifying to the 60 % area through the night hours you can stop the dew point forming and condensation forming. However heating a garage unless part of the main house costs a lot, or running a dessicant dehumidifier (about 650w, needed so it doesn't freeze if the temp gets near to freezing) will take a lot of money. Easier and cheaper to stick it in a Carcoon and pay less than the cost of a good meal for 2 for a years running.

Mick Richards  

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I had the moisture problem under a good quality car cover. Over a number of years I noticed microblisters forming and wear on edges exposed to wind induced cover movement. I tried an outer  cover over  a new  inner cover but it didn't help. 

Eventually I had to have the car repainted and find garage storage space.

Can't help with any further advice on storing a car long term over the winter, unfortunately.

I am quite lucky in that the garage is integral and the house is timber framed so the outer wall is well insulated, add to that I fitted a insulated electric folding door which as no gaps. So I will check when I get back home what it’s like now the cold weather is here (been away on a Cruise for three weeks now, hope she starts)

8 hours ago, Ernest said:

Hi All

Thanks very much for this range of advice - I guess I will just have to start saving for  respray!

Best Wishes

Ernest

I wouldn't get a respray until I solved the storage problem unless there are paints available now that resist the water induced micro blistering.  

Had this on my first classic, a spitfire.  Paid to get it resprayed, but the garage I was having built was no ready in time. Left the car with a cover on for a couple of weeks.  And when I took it off, microblistering.  Grrrr!

Cheers

Tim

I would forget the Carcoon, as it's a PIA to keep zipping and unzipping to get the car in/out everytime you want to use it. I used to get severe condensation on my TRs, tools etc so bought a dehumidifier from Dry-it.com about 6 years ago.   

I bought an Airflow https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/ for my survivor TR6 (Saffy), covered the TR3A and also ran a dehumidifier in conjunction with a Digital Temp/RH Monitor 

Sold Saffy and the Airchamber went with it as it did take up a far bit of room. I've  since bought back VUX in June 18 and with 3 motorbikes (now 2) and TuRK there wasn't enough room - a couple of years ago I had an electric garage door fitted (45mm of insulation) and also cover the TRs and bikes with good quality fleece lined covers from https://www.classicadditions.com/ - all these work well with the dehumidifier, so no more condensation on the cars, bikes and tools etc.

Cheers, Andrew

251056843_Airchamber-1.jpg.a75d9ee998cb8be472763090e3e91e82.jpg

630600541_TRCovers-1(2).jpg.8f6d6f6e405fe33257e5147779b0d0ba.jpg

1136577113_TRCovers-1(1).jpg.bd4a63711d78893d6f4b51bfaea8ef6c.jpg

Hi all

I think there will have to be a 'Viking burial' with you Andrew and VUX, you both seemed to be 'joined at the hip'  (or bottom!) destined not to be parted.

Thanks for this interesting on-going debate re. car care - I guess I will just have to continue as now and take the cover off as much as possible. Then if/when

respray required to have the car stored until the paint hardens - Would a 'wrap' be too extreme?

Best Wishes

Ernest

Given that what Roger suggested is the same as what JohnD suggested 27 minutes after your thread posting, (it's even the same brand "Dancover") in the  FIRST reply, about 18 postings ago, what has changed in your thinking, that now makes it a "possibility" ? We've only got a finite amount of life left !

Mick Richards

52 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mick,

I didn't realise that is what John had posted. The front image of his video clip looks like  a stooge.

Roger

:lol: Lol, there is another web page at the bottom John posted where he said "the stooge" may not be ok for convertibles and then posted the webpage to Fuugo who are offering one of the Dancover models you've posted 18 posts later.

For avoidance of confusion.

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/folding-garage-car-26x58x21-m-grey/p-37946499-77636965?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI74-3jdzV5QIVmLPtCh1eiQiFEAQYBiABEgLZafD_BwE

Mick Richards

Don’t get an absorbent cover!!! That just holds more water close to the car!

I’ve used one of these on an outside car for several years and found it a step above normal covers: Auto-Storm® AQUA

https://www.autopyjama.com/autostorm-carcover/

It’s a double cover. They do perish w time from the UV (may be more an antipodean thing) but car is typically dry when I unwrap it.

Don’t forget that the water condensing on the car is still actually in the air uncondensed usually as vapour and available to react as rust!