New tyres which size

In the new year I'm going to have to put new 'boots on UOV ('57 TR3) currently he's on  'tubed' 155 XAS's and whilst the tyres are in perfect condition having only done about 3000 miles I reckon they must be 10 years old so definitely needing replacement.

I know there's been lots of posts on which make but at the moment I'm considering if any benefit of going to 165 ? cars is never raced or rally'd and we don't often hit 70 ( or even 60 for that matter) to be honest but while I'm replacing the tyres anyway thought I would ask the question, at the moment I can see any benefit other than increased weight of steering when parking so my Biceps might get more of a workout. But I'm always willing to be proved wrong , so what are your suggestions stick to 155 or go to 165 ?

Hi Graham,

not a lot to choose between 155 and 165 in real terms with what you do.

Things that may be the decider? size of spare, A 165 x15 won't easily i.e. inflated fit your spare wheel well,

you can't legally run a 155 (Currently presumably your spare ) with a 165 so will that you mean you need to buy 5 replacements?

There is also the question of availability and price,

Persoanlly I'd stick with what you know.

John.

What rim size are you using?  Original 4" steels/48 spoke wires or 4 1/2" steels/ 60 spoke wires. or 5 1/2" steels/72 spoke wires.

Remember - The 165 on a 60 spoke/4 1/2" steel is a damn tight fit in the spare wheel hole when inflated.

Peter W

11 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What rim size are you using?  Original 4" steels/48 spoke wires or 4 1/2" steels/ 60 spoke wires. or 5 1/2" steels/72 spoke wires.

Remember - The 165 on a 60 spoke/4 1/2" steel is a damn tight fit in the spare wheel hole when inflated.

Peter W

Pete running original 4" steel rims 

12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Graham,

not a lot to choose between 155 and 165 in real terms with what you do.

Things that may be the decider? size of spare, A 165 x15 won't easily i.e. inflated fit your spare wheel well,

you can't legally run a 155 (Currently presumably your spare ) with a 165 so will that you mean you need to buy 5 replacements?

There is also the question of availability and price,

Persoanlly I'd stick with what you know.

John.

John good point the spare is a 155 about 2 years old so could be decision made 

The only thing is 155 are a 1/3rd more in price over 165. You could deflate the spare and carry an electric pump but thats a faff in the pouring rain or delete the spare like a modern and carry a can of gunk.

Stuart.

Stuart.

I don't know the UK rules so whether or not the spare would be checked for size at the MoT. Personally I wouldn't worry if the spare was 155 instead of 165 as it's just to get you to a tyre station.

Would advise against the aerosol tyre repair. Seem to be unreliable and may damage the tyre. I'd rather pump the spare up in the rain.

1 minute ago, Julian Stephens said:

Hello Graham

If you think your Michelins are over ten years old, do you think they were on the car forty six yeras ago?

Cheers

Julian Stephens

Cornwall 

UOV713_MumfordsExeter_13-10-1973.jpg

Julian many thanks for the picture, still has the aero screens but appears to have lost the wing mirrors and spot lights 

2 hours ago, Julian Stephens said:

Hello Graham

If you think your Michelins are over ten years old, do you think they were on the car forty six yeras ago?

Cheers

Julian Stephens

Cornwall 

UOV713_MumfordsExeter_13-10-1973.jpg

Was that outside Hicks in Truro?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Was that outside Hicks in Truro?

Stuart.

Would be really interested to know if you have any more information on where the photo was taken Etc 

15 hours ago, Graham said:

Would be really interested to know if you have any more information on where the photo was taken Etc 

I dont but I will ask Julian about it later.

Stuart.

I fitted Kuhmo's on mine. Really good tires, nice older style look and not to expensive, think I paid about 50$ a tire. Put the same make on my P1800 and no complaints. Not sure if you can buy those in the UK, here they are sold at OK tire shops.

Yves

8 minutes ago, tr2_applegreen said:

Good choice! I picked the same.

0DC19D69-E833-4976-A468-2C140550FD3B.jpeg

Me too. I save them for the road now. They do grip. 

355E0374-A21F-43EE-B420-701FAD58A501.jpeg

AD0B3346-3521-4F2E-9255-2A7AC12473CC.jpeg

460162CC-29FE-47E9-BC4B-4F59C72AC254.jpeg

Edited by Hamish