Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Graham

New tyres which size

Recommended Posts

In the new year I'm going to have to put new 'boots on UOV ('57 TR3) currently he's on  'tubed' 155 XAS's and whilst the tyres are in perfect condition having only done about 3000 miles I reckon they must be 10 years old so definitely needing replacement.

I know there's been lots of posts on which make but at the moment I'm considering if any benefit of going to 165 ? cars is never raced or rally'd and we don't often hit 70 ( or even 60 for that matter) to be honest but while I'm replacing the tyres anyway thought I would ask the question, at the moment I can see any benefit other than increased weight of steering when parking so my Biceps might get more of a workout. But I'm always willing to be proved wrong , so what are your suggestions stick to 155 or go to 165 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Graham,

not a lot to choose between 155 and 165 in real terms with what you do.

Things that may be the decider? size of spare, A 165 x15 won't easily i.e. inflated fit your spare wheel well,

you can't legally run a 155 (Currently presumably your spare ) with a 165 so will that you mean you need to buy 5 replacements?

There is also the question of availability and price,

Persoanlly I'd stick with what you know.

John.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What rim size are you using?  Original 4" steels/48 spoke wires or 4 1/2" steels/ 60 spoke wires. or 5 1/2" steels/72 spoke wires.

Remember - The 165 on a 60 spoke/4 1/2" steel is a damn tight fit in the spare wheel hole when inflated.

Peter W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What rim size are you using?  Original 4" steels/48 spoke wires or 4 1/2" steels/ 60 spoke wires. or 5 1/2" steels/72 spoke wires.

Remember - The 165 on a 60 spoke/4 1/2" steel is a damn tight fit in the spare wheel hole when inflated.

Peter W

Pete running original 4" steel rims 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Hi Graham,

not a lot to choose between 155 and 165 in real terms with what you do.

Things that may be the decider? size of spare, A 165 x15 won't easily i.e. inflated fit your spare wheel well,

you can't legally run a 155 (Currently presumably your spare ) with a 165 so will that you mean you need to buy 5 replacements?

There is also the question of availability and price,

Persoanlly I'd stick with what you know.

John.

John good point the spare is a 155 about 2 years old so could be decision made 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing is 155 are a 1/3rd more in price over 165. You could deflate the spare and carry an electric pump but thats a faff in the pouring rain or delete the spare like a modern and carry a can of gunk.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the UK rules so whether or not the spare would be checked for size at the MoT. Personally I wouldn't worry if the spare was 155 instead of 165 as it's just to get you to a tyre station.

Would advise against the aerosol tyre repair. Seem to be unreliable and may damage the tyre. I'd rather pump the spare up in the rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Julian Stephens said:

Hello Graham

If you think your Michelins are over ten years old, do you think they were on the car forty six yeras ago?

Cheers

Julian Stephens

Cornwall 

UOV713_MumfordsExeter_13-10-1973.jpg

Julian many thanks for the picture, still has the aero screens but appears to have lost the wing mirrors and spot lights 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Julian Stephens said:

Hello Graham

If you think your Michelins are over ten years old, do you think they were on the car forty six yeras ago?

Cheers

Julian Stephens

Cornwall 

UOV713_MumfordsExeter_13-10-1973.jpg

Was that outside Hicks in Truro?

Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stuart said:

Was that outside Hicks in Truro?

Stuart.

Would be really interested to know if you have any more information on where the photo was taken Etc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Graham said:

Would be really interested to know if you have any more information on where the photo was taken Etc 

I dont but I will ask Julian about it later.

Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.