TR4A hood frame buffer ??

Good day all,

Finally putting my frame back on car with new hood to come. As with the rest of the car all the rubber parts have perished but cannot find details for this one fixed to angle bracket on rear of frame. It fixes to head of an adjustment screw and when the frame is down it sits on the rear wheel arch.

Cannot see it on either the Moss or Rimmer catelogues. Doesn't seem to be a home made add on.  

Can anyone advise part number please.

Many thanks,

David B

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

I did put that in the Moss Europe catalogue.

615561 -  Item 11 on the TR4A hood frame page.

I would try CD24540.  the bonnet buffer from a TR2-3  It is the correct 1/4 unf thread and has a flat topped rubber.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=cd24540

I would guess you could also use 612962 the conical bonnet buffer instead.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=612962

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I did put that in the Moss Europe catalogue.

615561 -  Item 11 on the TR4A hood frame page.

I would try CD24540.  the bonnet buffer from a TR2-3  It is the correct 1/4 unf thread and has a flat topped rubber.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=cd24540

I would guess you could also use 612962 the conical bonnet buffer instead.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?search_group=&q=612962

Cheers

Peter W

Better to use the flat topped buffer from TR4 bonnets same part number 612962 though you would need to get whoever supplies it to ensure its the flat version.

Stuart.

Thanks all,

Peter, I see it now but the schematic was misleading me as it doesn’t show an angled bracket on the frame arm. Not available from moss though.

Andrew , thanks but as you might expect not at the rimmer price.

Peter W and Stuart, thanks for the pointers to a bonnet buffer (which I need as well). 612962 seems to the pointed version from suppliers pickies but CD24540 shows it flat, correct thread into my welded nut and £3.60. I’ll go with that. 

Hood due tomorrow so may have some other challenges!!!

Thanks all. David B

Edited by David B2

Hello David

Remove perished rubber from metal stud. Go to local hardware shop or market and buy a couple of rubber ferrules used for walking sticks/chair legs. Mine are 1 inch diameter and 1/2 inch deep. I got mine from a market stall for about £1 each. Glue them onto the metal stud. Ok not 'original' but look almost identical and do the job. The ones I got fitted over the end of the stud without needing to glue them.

Keith

1 hour ago, David B2 said:

Thanks all,

Peter, I see it now but the schematic was misleading me as it doesn’t show an angled bracket on the frame arm. Not available from moss though.

Andrew , thanks but as you might expect not at the rimmer price.

Peter W and Stuart, thanks for the pointers to a bonnet buffer (which I need as well). 612962 seems to the pointed version from suppliers pickies but CD24540 shows it flat, correct thread into my welded nut and £3.60. I’ll go with that. 

Hood due tomorrow so may have some other challenges!!!

Thanks all. David B

The 612962 part number is the same for both the flat topped TR4 buffer and the pointed 4a and on buffer, factory super-cession.

Stuart.

Z320,

CD24540 is shown as in stock at DMG (triumph), my usual source. £3.60 less 10% TR discount. 

Keith, good idea but as it’s going to be visible for the hood application will go as above.

David B

Keith,

ahh, I see now that it looks ok after you’ve cut the length down, will have a look what b&q have on my next visit. 

Or ... as I have since your post been looking at alternates will weld a washer onto screw head and superglue a thick rubber pad onto it. Shouldn’t look too agricultural. 

Thanks again. David B

Yes I think they were walking stick ferrules - I bought them for very little at Tewkesbury market. Don't think B&Q would have them - more likely a hardware shop or cobblers shop or at a market. The bolt head just fitted down a treat so I only had to cut them to length. There are several types out there once you go looking for them. Just take a bolt with you and try a few for size.

Keith