Swapping base plate distributor

An easy repair on the points and/or condensor should be swapping the baseplate of the distributor (25D4).

I tried it at home but had to set the timing again. I have to admit that it was some years ago that I bought that baseplate and I'am not sure that it was adjusted at that time correctly. Has the timing to be adjusted after swapping the base plate?

Is swapping the contact plate a better solution? Swapping the contact plate is anyhow not that straight forward or may the spring underneath be deformed in my case?

Thanks for an answer.

Jean-Marie

Distributor Parts.JPG

Hi Jean-Marie, the points plate rotates a small amount on the baseplate to allow the points to be set so if you dismantle both items you should only have to reset the points gap, that’s assuming the two baseplates were identical. 
It is possible to have two baseplates, I have one with an electronic ignition module fitted to it and a spare ( in the boot) fitted with points and condenser with the points gap preset which can be fitted to the car if the electronic unit fails. By swapping  the assembly, undoing the two Phillips screws and lifting it off the A/R spring the points are a direct swap and no adjustment is req for the engine to run. Having said that it’s always worth checking the timing after changing anything. I have had to do this so I know it works.

Chris

Thank you Chris for your reply. I swapped the assembly, but as already said, I had to adjust the timing (more than 10°!). This is of course not that practical when it should be done during a trip. I want to avoid always carrying the stroboscoop in the boot of my car. While both base plates with their own points and capacitor may have their own position for correct timing, I consider to investigate if I can mark this position on the side bottom of the distributor. It should be accurate enough to bring me home without adjusting it by the stroboscoop.

Jean-Marie