Cold air intake

Thanks for linking to that thread, Rob, because I contributed there too.   Then, I made two points, which may be worth repeating:

1/ My experiment in installing a rear radiator in my Vitesse, 'Silverback' showed that the vast majority of the under bonnet heat comes from the radiator.   The exxhaust provides very little indeed.

2/ The exhaust gas temperature may be 700-1100F (370-600C), comparable to the temperature that the less hot parts of the Space Shuttle would reach on re-entry, 1200C,    What might be considered an acceptable heat inside the engine bay  is comparable to the temperature that the Space Shuttle aeroframe had to be limited to, else it would begin to lose it's integrity, 176°C (350°F).      To protect it, and prevent the castastrophe that overtook Challenger, those less hot parts of the Shuttle were clad in ceramic tiles that were ONE INCH THICK.     How, then, does a ceramic coating whose thickness is measured in MICRONS have a significant effect?

John