Cylinder Block Drain Tap

Chris,

my tap (tr6) was serviceable, so I cleaned it, oiled it, and installed it back. But if it would not, I would have replaced by a simple brass drain plug, no hesitation.

How often do you open it, and when you do for like flushing, you will have to remove it for better flow, less plugging. So of limited value to have a tap, I feel.

Also, if the brass tap lever is hit, either during maintenance work or something while driving, the engine would drain it’s coolant.

Whatever you decide, make sure to clean the thread in the engine, because there may (will) be corrosion, preventing the new tap or plug to be screwed in properly. Do a dry fit first, it should screw in by hand easily.

Regards,

Waldi

Most engine builders just plug the hole, for draining water it's easier to remove bottom rad hose. If engine has been rebuilt recently plug is good for prob 10years.

Chris

5 hours ago, Z320 said:

1/2" UNF on my TR4A, also the new plug I bought in 2010 from "Bastuck".

I now  use a modern ball valve with an adapotor 1/4" BSP x 1/2" UNF

post-13222-0-67300500-1508304184_thumb.jpg

post-13222-0-43573300-1508304197_thumb.jpg

I have same fittings on my race TR6. Been on for 20 years and still functions well when strip engine for refreshing every 4 - 5 years.

I will install similar on my TR5 road car which I am currently restoring.

Dave McD