Car Security

Hi all

wondering what type of security devices do you use on your cars ? its about time I started using some form of anti theft devise and am wondering what type to use on my 4a before some one takes a shine to it

Chris 

An isolation key

An MTrack unit

Smartwater on various bits ( and a warning label )

Hi Chris

If somebody really wants your car then it will go. Give thanks and praise for Ferrari and BMW's - they take the heat of us cheapo cars !!!!

A TRacker is a good item and may help get the car back.

However something visible that will seriously slow them down will stop the  opportunist thief - Halfords StopLock, DiscLock. An engine immobiliser. Secret switch for an electric fuel pump.

All these slow down the process.  But will not stop the professional.

Also have a look at the search facility as this is raised quite often.

Roger 

When I installed an electric fuel pump, I also added an inline fuse under the dash. I can easily pull the fuse, and reclose the fuse holder when parking in the wild. The idea is to frustrate a thief, and have them move on to another victim. Though, as Roger says, if a pro wants the car, it’s probably gone.

Jim

Just ignition isolators,  but nothing which will prevent it being put onto a low-loader.

I do like the idea of installing something along the lines of that used The Mechanic, but I have stopped short of that.

......Andy 

1 hour ago, lynchpin said:

When on holiday or parking it away from sight for a while I put a heavy motor cycle chain and lock through the wire wheel and the front suspension which acts as a visual deterent at least, you just got to remember to take it off..

Phil..

Many years ago I lived in a more ‘character full’ area of West London .....Acton infact the bit I lived in was considered rough even by Acton standards. I lived just adjacent to the notorious South Acton estate. When the police were called out they never sent a car, it was always a van at least 6 up. It was what the estate agents used to describe as an up and coming area. So imagine my surprise when early one morning on my way to the shops I saw a caterham parked in the street. ...."!the owner had used a chain to chain the roll cage to a lamp post. Clearly none of the locals wanted it, no stereo!, as if they had I’m sure they would not have thought anything of felling the lamp post.

WRT security for me fuel pump immobiliser. I take the view that if they really want it they will have it, it’s just a case of making it as awkward as possible.

Edited by Graham

I bought a Morgan which was fitted with an immobiliser when I asked the dealer what additional security he recommended he said none. He said that it was very rare for a Morgan to be stolen as it would be extremely difficult to sell on likewise if broken up for spares party due to the detailed records kept of each car produced.

"He said that it was very rare for a Morgan to be stolen "

It's sometime nice to still find naïve people in business...has he never heard of joyriders ?

Mick Richards

As others have said, if a professional wants it, it is already gone!

An immobiliser and a tracker are effective. Some trackers allow you to listen in to any conversations, and can also be used to speak to the would be thief.

Physical security like a m/cycle chain or steering wheel lock are also useful, but at some point you need to ask whether the inconvenience outweighs the benefit.

Keeping it in a secure garage is the first port of call!

TT

There were a spate of TR thefts back in the late 90s. Someone had clearly got hold of owners addresses.

My garage had the door rammed -  after waiting for my wife to go out. However it had fairly sturdy wooden doors and they set off the house alarm as they tried to get in and scarpered.

Bits of wooden garage door were dropping off a low loader which was seen by a neighbour. Number plates were false but these were clearly not joy riders.

Some years ago, a Cumbria Group Member, Paul Down, now retired from Tr'ing, and a very clever man, wrote an article about

sidescreen security, that was reproduced in TR Action.

If you google his website, 'Bertram Hill,' it is included there under a 'technical' subsection, - well worth a read.

John.

As they say.....if they want it they will take it some way or another. I have a friend who had his Jag stolen form a circuit paddock. Just roll up with a racing car box and winch it in. Nobody challenged. He now has security items installed in his replacement

It does bring to mind having adequate insurance and an agreed value. As TT says you need balance to make sure that the inconvenience doesn't outweigh the benefit.

If it gets to the point where you worry too much, it makes using the car less enjoyable.

I  myself always have favoured the spike anti theft system! Car seat only recognises the owners rear end & on failure to said recognition a metal spike rises up through the seat! Perhaps also best to have the wife's rear also on the recognition list!

27 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

The best anti-theft device for my TR in Toronto is the manual gearbox...

:D:D

I am told the fly-off handbrake on the side-screen cars is also a deterrent to joyriders. It can certainly confuse MOT testers.