I have a TR2 1955 and and I am having intermittent horn bursts (embarrassing!).I have checked the wiring and the problem seems to be from inside the horn push in the centre of the steering wheel.The manual shows that the centre of the horn push simply prises off but I seem unable to remove it.Any tips please?.

Thanks

Roger

Roger,

I don’t think it does “Simply prise off.”. Don’t try too hard, because the Bakelite is quite brittle and you could end up with it chipped or worse.

I’ve rebuilt the horn push and control head on mine and I don’t think it’s possible to get to the horn push without removing the entire control head.
Last year there were some quite detailed instructions on the forum, so maybe do a search.

Once you get it all apart there is a brass disk glued to the underside of the actual push.  The glue can fail after many years and it may be that the disk is floating about and occasionally shorting out the horn contacts.

Be aware that pulling the control head out of the car and taking it to pieces is a job not to be taken lightly.
A quick fix would be to disconnect the wires to the horn push and fit another switch somewhere else.

I can almost guarantee that if you do set about pulling the control head and taking it apart you will soon wish you had left it alone !

Charlie.

Charlie,

Thanks a million, you saved a disaster. I think I will install a separate button as I have done on my MG

Regards

Roger

As someone who has successfully dismantled and re-assembled the control head, no it doesn't just prise off, you do need to remove the complete head and that will entail disconnecting the wires and pulling them back through the steering box.  Also be aware that when you start to disassemble the control head is likely to suddenly fly apart spreading parts in all directions so do it inside a plastic bag.  It has small springs under compression in it.

Rgds Ian

As already mentioned the horn push can only be accessed by stripping the whole unit. If you wish to do this I wrote an article on the overhaul of the control head which was published in TR Action many years ago and is now available on Technicalities.

Cheers Richard

I had a similar problem about 5 years ago. The horn would sound when going over a bump in the road, which was quite often. Took the fuse out for the trip home. I found it to be the metal ring on the slip ring inside the steering column had come adrift causing it to 'short' out and set off the horn. A couple of drops of super glue and no problems since. Bit of an effort to get at it but did not need to disassemble the whole control unit (which I have done and agree with others comments).

Might be easier to fix than first thought.

Brian