choke cable

Roy

I also baulked at the £60 cost of a new cable when mine broke. I searched the forum and found an excellent post from Roger telling me to repair the old one.

Duly got a bike inner brake cable, dismantled the old one then soldered in the new inner cable after drilling out the old solder. Be very careful not to lose the tiny woodruff key (I lost mine but made a serviceable replacement out of a ground down washer). File the brass teeth will it is in bits to stop it slipping. Put it all back together and back in and it all works.

Andrew

interesting as i have 3 cables where the outer has parted from the solid part of the knob.

if this is repairable please tell me how ?

yes Andrew £80 with postage ,ouch

Roy

From the link in previous post this looks very close to TR original for £12

Has anyone fitted one?

Chris

0019154_black-choke-cable-locking-15-metre-long.jpeg

Good point Roger that's why I wondered if anyone on forum had fitted one.

Chris

18 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Chris,,

the cable on the TR has solid inner so that it can push as well as pull.

Will the multi-strand cable do the same with our carbs.

Roger

No it wont Im afraid.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Chris,,

the cable on the TR has solid inner so that it can push as well as pull.

Will the multi-strand cable do the same with our carbs.

Roger

This looks like solid piano wire....and cheaper!

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/search/?query=Choke&x=0&y=0&records=6

the only rigid wire choke cable on TR I have come across was fitted to Strombergs.  TR250/6/7  and they were twin wire

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
38 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

My 4A with SU's has always had a solid inner wire and I've seen plenty of others.

Roger

So that's why I have a solid wire 'looks like TR' choke cable.  I used one to create a choke cable for my TR which is still working fine, and use/sell as push-pull cables for the vent lid mechanism of the sidescreen cars.

I'll dig around to see if I still have any. 

Cheers

Peter W

Piano wire is what you need, years ago I had access to it through work. If there`s a piano tuners near you they may have some.The outer can be salvaged from the cheap pull cables .

Stuart.

Hi Roy - if you do not mid straying from originality there are some options around, though you will need to check the length you need.  A search for something like 'Universal solid wire choke/heater cable' or 'Universal push/pull cable' does come up with available items at about £18.00 from places like RatSport, Vintage car parts or the usual auction sites.  Many have a plain black or white knob but some have labelling.

I use one for my TR4 and all is well but I cannot remember where I got it from

Mark

I guess that finding the correct size for the knob end of the cable that fits our hole in the dash. Also if lucky one that can have the TR knob fitted .

On 11/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

4D models stock it.  https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Piano-wire/ITM1982

they are in East London near The Tower

Peter W

About 15 minutes walk from my office. DIscovered it a couple of months ago when I wanted 1 small tin of Humbrol paint (remember them?). An Aladdin's cave of modelling stuff and tools of every variety and lots that I felt I really needed!

Miles

• 2 months later...

well i purchased a cable from one of the recommended co CAR BUILDER SOLUTIONS £7.50 solid wire and the outer cable not covered in plastic so looks correct in the engine bay.

part no ppc2

Works perfect but the knob is moulded on so cannot change for original one .  May be one of the others above would have been better but the dash fitment is smaller diameter.

Roy