Who can provide historic pictures of TR2/3 in high resolution quality?

For my living room, I would love to put some nice historic photos of the TR2 or TR3 on the walls.

I already searched the internet and found many great shots, especially from rallys and other competitions.

However, quality is very poor in most cases, so that they could barely be used for printing.

This is way I am asking you: Could you provide me with some high res scans of historic TR pictures? That would be so great! I would highly appreciate it! 

I think the very best photos of TR2-3 Rally Cars are in the http://www.editionsmauricelouche.com

Frederic Reydellet used many of his vast collection of TR photos for his excellent collection of books.

http://fredericreydellet.blogspot.com/

Another source is 

http://www.motorgraphs.com/photos/year/1950/

Iain

Personally, I find the poorer quality photographs have a character consistent with the time when they were originally taken. Each to his own of course.

I am sure the originals can be scanned and enhanced though even using basis photo editing tools on your computer. I have certainly done this with a number of black and family white photographs.

Miles

30 minutes ago, MilesA said:

Personally, I find the poorer quality photographs have a character consistent with the time when they were originally taken. Each to his own of course.

I am sure the originals can be scanned and enhanced though even using basis photo editing tools on your computer. I have certainly done this with a number of black and family white photographs.

Miles

Hi Miles, for sure and I agree concerning the blur and scratches of old photographes. However, there is a difference to the effect of a low resolution image, which results in square pixels when magnified as a big photo print. This does not look so good, in my opinion.

Iain, thank you very much for these sources. I didn‘t know them before. However, scans are not available as digital files. Do you have any good high res images on your computer?

I have one specific photo in mind, showing some mechanics in a racing garage, preparing a TR2 (or TR3) for a competition. It looks like they are ajdusting the beam of head lights of the car. Does anybody of you know this photograph?

29 minutes ago, Kutscher said:

Hi, no I don't have it in higher resolution....but If you you to the website https://library.revsinstitute.org/digital/custom/single-image?id=426791&collection=p17257coll1

You can order one in a higher resolution.

thank you very much for the useful link!  I will definetly consider. Might there be anyone else considering to buy??? ;)

However, I am still looking for some other great hi res photographs....

You need to be very careful. The revs institute and the others in my original post have copyright on their images. Purchase for personal use is relatively inexpensive. The last one I bought was from Revs was ? £12.00.

But for  commercial use?

Iain

Edited by iain

The best pictures by far are those taken by Frank Callaby, Triumph's in-house photographer, who used a plate camera, giving superb definition.  Frank's work was (I hope still is) preserved in the archive at Gaydon. One could get excellent B&W copies in various sizes, but I haven't bought any photos from Gaydon for about 20 years so cannot say whether or how one can access the archive now.  Back then, there were sheets with a large number of shots (much reduced in size!), and one had to use a back-lit viewer to work across and down each sheet, searching for something relevant - I would hope that nowadays the system has changed because those large sheets were getting very tatty!

Monsieur Louche's prints are (in my opinion) very expensive and, in some cases, have been pinched from elsewhere &/or quality not very good - he even claims copyright on shots which I know were taken by Callaby because I have copies obtained from Gaydon!

BTW, Frank Callaby also shot the films of rallies and other events, with the moving road shots taken from a Standard Vanguard.  Graham (revered Hon Pres) told me that Frank carried no sound recorder (in the 50s/60s, reel to reel tape machines weighed a ton and were difficult to operate), so sound was added back home in the roads round Coventry - Graham drove the car for some of Frank's sound recording sessions!

Ian Cornish

12 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

Why can't I open this page on my iMac but I have no problem opening it on my iPhone?

Rgds Ian

Opens fine in safari on my Macbook.  What browser are you using?

2 hours ago, RobH said:

Opens fine in safari on my Macbook.  What browser are you using?

I'm using Firefox but have now tried Safari and it works so I guess there is some kind of setting in my Firefox that is preventing it.

Thks Ian

6 hours ago, ianc said:

The best pictures by far are those taken by Frank Callaby, Triumph's in-house photographer, who used a plate camera, giving superb definition.  Frank's work was (I hope still is) preserved in the archive at Gaydon. One could get excellent B&W copies in various sizes, but I haven't bought any photos from Gaydon for about 20 years so cannot say whether or how one can access the archive now.  Back then, there were sheets with a large number of shots (much reduced in size!), and one had to use a back-lit viewer to work across and down each sheet, searching for something relevant - I would hope that nowadays the system has changed because those large sheets were getting very tatty!

Monsieur Louche's prints are (in my opinion) very expensive and, in some cases, have been pinched from elsewhere &/or quality not very good - he even claims copyright on shots which I know were taken by Callaby because I have copies obtained from Gaydon!

BTW, Frank Callaby also shot the films of rallies and other events, with the moving road shots taken from a Standard Vanguard.  Graham (revered Hon Pres) told me that Frank carried no sound recorder (in the 50s/60s, reel to reel tape machines weighed a ton and were difficult to operate), so sound was added back home in the roads round Coventry - Graham drove the car for some of Frank's sound recording sessions!

Ian Cornish

Frank Callaby images are at Motorgraphs, the photographic/film  commercial arm of  BMIHT. Link in my earlier post.

Some are on line, many are still waiting to be digitalised......don’t hold your breath! 

Iain

Edited by iain

If you want to see many historic Frank Callaby Triumph pictures then seek out a copy of my largely -forgotten book published in 2000 called "Triumph, the Sporting Cars" published by Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd. It contains dozens of excellent quality pics , largely from the BMIHT archive, as I compiled it in conjunction with them.....they got a share of the royalties. 

Sadly Alan Sutton disappeared soon after that  into the Haynes maw, and all efforts I have made to have this book reprinted have failed, Haynes of course no longer being interested in their old motoring titles...….

Although I regularly see copies of most of my other books on sale secondhand at dealers etc, I never see this one, yet I know that 2500 copies were printed and sold.....where did they all go?  Would that I had stuffed a hundred copies under the bed back in the day. Bill Piggott

49 minutes ago, Bill.P. said:

If you want to see many historic Frank Callaby Triumph pictures then seek out a copy of my largely -forgotten book published in 2000 called "Triumph, the Sporting Cars" published by Alan Sutton Publishing Ltd. It contains dozens of excellent quality pics , largely from the BMIHT archive, as I compiled it in conjunction with them.....they got a share of the royalties. 

Sadly Alan Sutton disappeared soon after that  into the Haynes maw, and all efforts I have made to have this book reprinted have failed, Haynes of course no longer being interested in their old motoring titles...….

Although I regularly see copies of most of my other books on sale secondhand at dealers etc, I never see this one, yet I know that 2500 copies were printed and sold.....where did they all go?  Would that I had stuffed a hundred copies under the bed back in the day. Bill Piggott

Thank you for the good advice. I have your book Original Triumph TR, which is just great! :)

I found your mentioned book on Amazon and just bought a copy.

Edited by tr2_applegreen

Iain Paul has drawn my attention to a German site called mckleinimagedatabase.com on which I discovered 5 B&W photos of the VC Works' TR4s which I never seen before.

One can search by specifying Triumph and then a Year.  The quality of the shots is very high and I have ordered copies, which are 25 Euros for A4 size (that's unusually large in my experience, more usually around A5), then there's postage, of course.  The company trades as rallywebshop.com, seems very well organised and can accept payment by PayPal.

Bill's books are very well researched, written, illustrated and produced, and I believe I have a signed copy of each of them - that must increase their value, surely ?!  No, they are not for sale!

Ian Cornish

Hi Bill, your Book , "Triumph The Sporting Cars" has a fabulous collection of photos, I did manage to get a copy on that popular sales site for a sensible price a few years ago 

image.png