EBC brake discs and pads

50 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:
12 minutes ago, JochemsTR said:

Marco,

I find Mintex 1144 and Hawk HPS very very similar. .

Red Stuff, Mintex 1144 and Hawl HPS like it hot. Even though claims are made braking under cold works well. Cold may work well, within our safety limits (TÜV, MOT) but not excellent. ...Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I have yet to find a version that brakes excellent under cold as under hot conditions.... Neither has the rest of the world...Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Tests are mostly subjectiv since the owner wants to feel an improvement, even when it is not there. It sucks to spend money on so called uprated brakes and not noticing any difference. So one convinces themselves there is an improvement. 

It would be very interesting to do an analysis on a brake bench. But who does this ?...The brake pad manufacturers...they DON'T let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Jochem

Mick Richards

Mick,

you hit the nail on the head for me.

There is no such thing as “good” or “bad” pads, selection of materials for your intended use is important.

I have installed Green Stuff per previous recommendations on this forum, now I’m not so sure the fit with my intended use (road use mainly, not much more exiting that with my daily driver). Additionally I did read the EBC info on their site, and thought it would be ok for me, so ordered from TR shop.

Just to be clear: no finger-pointing intended, but it looks like Green stuff may not be the best suitable for me.

I do not know how they perform yet, as I have not driven the car yet, we will see.

Regards,

Waldi

There are some bad pads! I remember a set of Moprod pads I put on my Mum's Metro back in the day and had to take evasive action and take to the hard shoulder. They were shocking hot or cold.

I have always found Mintex 1144s work from cold. The Hawke HPS slightly less well from cold but less prone to fade in comparison. (That said the 1144s don't fade easily and the Hawkes aren't bad from cold so happily recommend either.) In absolute terms I prefer the Hawkes but run 1144s because they are a bit thinner. (I've got one of the vented disc conversions that use a space in the caliper and the spacer supplied was a bit marginal - I have since found that Big red sell the spacers on eBay aimed at the Cortina and Granada market and they are a better size)  The original spacers came with a kit that was sold by a few of the suppliers (Rimmers and TR shop + others) and came with wha were boxed as ECB discs and Greenstuff pads. Oddly ECB denied supplying the discs when I tried to get some replacements when one went out of true slightly.

^ + 1 Marco. A doubling down of the wrong way to go...in my honest opinion.

I smile to myself when I remember that I a won the 1987 TR Championship with standard discs and standard road pads that cost me £ 1.50 a set. !  

I was a spendthrift, I used a set a race meeting ( but that covered practice as well, I'm not made of money !) using Pirelli P6 tyres. Do we really think normal road drivers on public roads need better brakes than those pads offered when they are used for 10 lap sprint races. ? I 'm still using the same make of pads...I bought in bulk.in 1986.

Mick Richards

In 2017 I warped the standard TR8 discs on my 2L 7 during a brisk run down the Stelvio pass. Getting decent new TR8 discs is not easy as they are a few mm larger than fitted on the TR7 but EBC were able to supply slotted discs and recommended yellow stuff pads. Since then have been through the Alps again and a couple of thousand miles on the RBRR so they are well bedded in.

All I can say is that they grip well and give me more confidence in the car.

Howard

Jochem is on the mark

"Tests are mostly subjective since the owner wants to feel an improvement, even when it is not there. It sucks to spend money on so called uprated brakes and not noticing any difference. So one convinces themselves there is an improvement. 

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Jochem is on the mark

"Tests are mostly subjective since the owner wants to feel an improvement, even when it is not there. It sucks to spend money on so called uprated brakes and not noticing any difference. So one convinces themselves there is an improvement. 

Mick Richards

I also smiled on that because a friend of mine is psychologist and told me there is a term for this "issue":

cognitiv dissonance reduktion

"Allow not yourself to realize what is obvious, because this will disappoint you"

7 hours ago, Z320 said:

I also smiled on that because a friend of mine is psychologist and told me there is a term for this "issue":

cognitiv dissonance reduktion

"Allow not yourself to realize what is obvious, because this will disappoint you"

Jochem, who ist he ?????  ....engineer during the day.....psychologist at night.....????

• 9 months later...

A very sad story:

to find this thread again at this forum I had to do a search for it at Google.....

Well, what happened?

With new brake discs I fitted NOS asbestos pads to see what happens.

Braking was OK, no surprise, not sepcial good or bad for about 800 miles, but then the brakes started to squeak at the beginning of a 450 miles weelkend.

Finally braking was still "OK", but I did not barke so much because this was so annoying loud. No fun at all.

What was obvious: they look like polishes stone, and one of four had a crack.

LWMjqa6PWafb_b6wD1rHuzx_AoHSo3Da-5g_HTrk

Here another photo with different light.

8a3hvgdYgHaosn336KnDiaEdi-8wiWJjzD2MyCP1

They had a "best before".

Next I fitted standard pads, I remember 19 GBP for the set.

Braking was OK, no surprise, not special good or bad for 400 miles, no squeaking at all, braking was a bit "soft" for the first 50-100 miles.

Yesterday I put them out, they look "lovely", no issue - on the friction side.

QY2yBreKAU054VmA3xwTyxeQSGAXWCxcYIMcBYUM

On the rear side it is obvious why they have been "soft" for the first 50-100 miles,

and fortunately I realizes the missing bitumen on some parts of the contact surface with the piston.

_Ei5HYXGqlkOD6hVABe5F5Lzr22OQoUeX1jstJIl

This cost me some patience to get this "missing" parts off the brake pistons again.

Now I have the Mintex 1144  for about 100 GBP in and I was out for first test drive with big expectations.

Well, I will judge finally after about 500 miles............

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I have say that quite a few of us in the Leicester group are now using 1144s and would say most of us would say they have serious bite when cold - not at all what most would expect from a fast road pad. Certainly more bite than a set of standard pads I had knocking around after getting grease on the Mintex pads that were in the car when I swapped the wheel bearings. They were boxed unipart of the late 70s or early 80s.