DR3 wiper motor (2 wires)?

An update on wiring in a 14W motor.

The existing pull switch on a TR4A will work fine if wired correctly. Here is how it connects to the loom. As in previous diagram, I am using two changeover relays to get the proper functioning of the fast, slow and park facilities.

Kind regards

Tony T

Loom to motor.png

Are all 14W motors two speed?

Did not early Range Rover use a 14W as a rear wiper - That is where my single speed washer & wipe switch came from.  Might even be the source for 90 degree gears.

I know, count the wires or open them and count the brushes.

Cheers

Peter W

39 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Pete,

does the motor have to be designed for single speed. The switch dictates what should be happening. 

SVC and ANG both do a good selection of gear wheels.

Roger

Two speed 14W have a third carbon brush as far as I can work out, hence the extra (5th) wire.

As an aside...TR5/6 PI fuel pump uses the same design & fitting brush plate assembly but it has only two brushes.   The owners are often thrown when they open the motor to find a brush plate with only two brushes and in their repair kit they have a brush plate with 3 brushes.  The three brush plate being used universally to supply both conditions.

Surely if you have a TR4/4/5 and are converting to a 14W motor AND you need wheel boxes...just fit the Lucas wheel boxes from a TR6/MGB/XJ6 with a 115 degree wiper motor gear in the 14W.

No need to chase 90 degree gear or use rotten quality remade TR4/5 wheel boxes.

Cheers

Peter W

On 12/4/2019 at 11:25 PM, silverfox4 said:

Tanks Tony,

Just wondering, what size/amperage are the relays? could mini relays be used to save space?

Cheers,

Alf

Most of the mini relays are fine. Typically they happily switch up to 30 Amps. Your motor should not be drawing that amount of current.

TT

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to do the 14W motor conversion on my 4A and have acquired all the bits, apart from the TR6 type bulkhead mounting bracket onto which the u-shaped bracket bolts. Does anyone know if this is available or will I have to fabricate one? Shouldn't be difficult, just trying to save myself work. Thanks.

Hi Brian,

the bracket that the motor sits on does not appear to be available.

However it is quite easy to make something that will sort it.

Stuart showed a very nice bracket that could be easily bent up and riveted in place.

I used two pieces of a plastic material   apprx 6" x 2" x 1".

The lower piece is bolted to the panel where the motor sits. The other piece bolts on top of that. Finally the motor strap sits on the top piece.

I post a pic tomorrow.

Because the motor body is round it makes it easy to orientate it.

Roger