DR3 wiper motor (2 wires)?

I fitted a 14W motor to a TR2 needed a bit of a hybrid mount on the nearside like a 3a but it worked really well though I did need the type of wiper arms with a crank on the end so they wiped from flush with the windscreen frame one side to almost flush with the windscreen frame the other side. The whole setup came from a MK2 Mini, with electric washers and the combined indicator/wiper/washer stalks on the column it gave wash/wipe plus 2 speeds and was really good in all weathers.

Stuart.

There is a topic on here where I had to fix a NEW 14W motor.  Rubbish plastic switch design.

I reckon the 90 degree wheel may be hard to find.  The only 90 wheels I've come across were on cars with split screens.  Does not apply to 14W types I'd think.

So be useful to know what used a 90 wheel in a 14W?  Obviously Roger found one somehow.  Be useful to know where.

On eBay at present are four 14W motors, used condition, gears are 100,105,110 and 125 at £48.5.  This will be the cheapest method.

It sounded to me as if you would be unhappy with the performance of a DR3A type.  That's why I suggested the 14W route.  Still think that's the case.

However I'd fit new TR6 wheel boxes and use a 110 or 115 gear which are easy to find.  Yes, I do know wheel-boxes are a pain to do but I'd be surprised if yours are in good condition.

The 14W are easy to dismantle.  Don't loose the loose bearing ball !!

But the strong permanent magnet is annoying when you try to reassemble them. As is the brush-gear design.  But they are restorable.

Thanks Alan.  The reason my query is that the PO on my 4A rebuilt the system 20 years ago with new wheel boxes and refurbished motor. However I have two occasions where I could hear the drive cable grinding and slipping (no wiper action). I will first try to rotate the cable 180 deg and see if that works. I don't know if the PO was aware of all these aspects of the wiper system noted above, and just used possibly 6 boxes. 

This thread has been most enlightening

Cheers,

Alf 

Hi Alf,

the quality of the wheel boxes has been rather dodgy for many years.  It may be that the metal work around the gear wheel is allowing the cabke to ride up and slip off the teeth.

It is possible to tease the metal closer tot he gear wheel and thus hold the cable in place.

Roger

Thanks Roger. I'll take that suggestion and store it for now, as we know these wheel boxes are a real PITA to get at, so not looking forward to it. However I do a new Clayton heater to install and some LED bulbs so maybe that is the best time to dig even deeper and look them

Cheers,

Alf

I'd start by slipping in a new wire-rack.  NOS ones usually on eBay.  Just make sure it's LONG enough and cut to size with a grinder.

As I've posted on here before, there is a UK manufacturer of wheel-boxes that makes a good part.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wiper-Wheel-Box-for-MG-MGA-Triumph-TR3-TR4-TR5-37H6316/222521442203?epid=1429788452&hash=item33cf4fbf9b:g:seoAAOSwjU9Zz0DS

http://www.lapelec.co.uk/products/Wiper_Systems/Wiper_System_Features

Edited by AlanT
add photo

I found out about LAP by studying the parts on eBay offered by "lotsofclassicbits".  Some of his photos included part-numbers. 

In any case I've bought other stuff from them and it turned out well.  Like many UK manufacturers LAP does not try to sell direct.

• 4 weeks later...

while I sleep on the Clayton heater issue, I have turned attention to the wipers as raised above.

The wheel box clamping bolts are all tight so no slop there. The boxes still look new so am reluctant to remove them just now. However I seem to have an odd situation with the motor, which as I note from many of Alan's posts as far back as 2009, is the correct motor for the TR4A namely, DR3A 66 75568A.  When I bench trest it (green to + and neg momentarily to each of the other two leads), I can only get one speed to work. Also the switch only has two terminals and one position.

I assume at the moment that the motor is defective? and, Is this the correct switch for a two speed motor?

IMG_4017.JPG.46d493a0587aff3ac4d3e273532d2eaa.JPGIMG_4018.JPG.3ddd0e9579fdd546a780db8e5305aa68.JPG

IMG_4019.JPG.c53a8725fa31dcbbf7111915492a3bba.JPG

Cheers,

Alf

Hi Alf,

the switch you show is the single speed on/off switch. The two speed switch is a larger square shaped thing.

To make the motor run on the bench connect Green to +12v

The two earth wires (Green/Red  &  Green/Brown) need to be connect in the correct order

One of the earth wires is for slow running.

If you ground both the earth wires then the speed will increase.

If you ground the wrong earth then it may work but not for long.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Alf,

As an aside comment, I’d re-route that yellow wire in the photograph.(Overdrive solenoid?)

It looks like something is pressing on it enough to put a dent in the insulation.

Eventually, with even slight vibration, that dent will become a cut, the bare wire will be in contact with the earthed metal, and something will go wrong.

You will end up having to remove the gearbox cover etc, etc, etc….

Charlie.

How about that then!. With Pos on the green and  I ground one of the other two,  it went on high speed and with both grounded it went on low speed - thanks Roger now seems sorted so maybe no problem with the motor, And ah um ...I did find the correct switch (my bad). Again thanks.

Charlie, thanks for the heads up on the OD solenoid wire. I will look at that, thanks.

Now to check the rack closely for wear and maybe rotate it, but from a quick look it did not seem that bad, but with my eyesight, it is difficult to conclude whether the rack is good or bad?.

Cheers,

Alf

Cheers,

Alf

Hi Alf,

do be careful when wiring up the two speed switch.

many people say that when wired properly the fast speed comes on on 1st click followed by slow speed on 2nd click (not intuitive)

I have found that you can wire it come on slow then fast.

Others have found that in the off position the motor gets red hot to touch.

Roger 

Hi Roger

This subject came up on a previous topic were I asked if you could be persuaded to pen an article in TR Action on your conversion to a 14 w motor on your TR as it would be of interest to many TR4 /4A owners who use their cars  in the rain any chance you could oblige ?

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

I will put pen to paper. 

Tony's circuit above is an economical answer. However using over the counter items it is a fairly easy upgraed.

These are required.

Motor,     https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/lucas-14w-2-speed-wiper-motor-with-moulded-ferrule/

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/insulated-strap---pad/

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/14w-wiper-drive-gear/

Adaptor loom,    https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/wipers-washers/windscreen-wiper-system-tr5-6-1967-76.html

switch.  https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/lucas-toggle-switch-2-speed-wiper/

Not sure it the original pull switch works but I am using the fancy toggle switch above

Roger