DR3 wiper motor (2 wires)?

Hi. Wonder if someone can help me. I have read lots of articles on how the wiring of the wiper motor is not straightforward (e.g. switch has no live). I’m currently trying to sort the wiring in my newly acquired TR4a and the current issues is that if the wiper motor. 

the wiring was somewhat haphazard in that there was a live to the switch and only one wire connected at the motor (wiper barely moved). 

my issue is that there are only two wires coming from the motor (despite having a two speed switch). Both look green and quick peep inside the motor does make it clearer. 

anyway is this a two speed motor and if so how do I wire this in from the red/green & brown/green from the switch?

motor number is 75358D

any pointers much appreciated 

thanks

Gordon

Gordon if you scroll down a few pages you will find work done on wiper motors. I have just replaced my motor. On my motor it has Red live from the ign switch and the wires from the wiper switch are earths to make the circuit. So you probably have one that should come from you ign switch and a earth from you wiper switch if it is a single speed motor.

Mike Redrose Group 

Do you have the correct two-speed motor for a 4A, part number 75568. This has 3-wires coming out rather than two spade terminals?

Because the self-parker consists of a switch,  that connects to the motor body,  these motors take a 12V supply from the ignition switch.

The wiper switch or the self-parker then complete a circuit to the car chassis.

The 12V supply to the motor is a GREEN wire and the wire to the wiper-switch is RED. 

The two-speed motor also has a BROWN wire to select FAST or SLOW running.

Here is one I made for a concours TR5 but a 4A is the same.

simon-done-1.jpg

Edited by AlanT

Gordon,

The 75358 wiper motor is listed in the Lucas Catalogues as a single speed unit with a 130 degree gear.

Original fitment for the following vehicles :

MG Magnette Mk III 1960, Morris Oxford Series V 59 to 60, Riley Four Sixty-Eight 59 to 60 and Wolseley Fifteen Sixty 1959 to 60. and noted as being for L.H.D. versions only.

Best to check that it actually has been modified to make it two speed operation...?

Regards, Richard

Thanks everyone for your responses.  It looks like the car has the wrong wiper motor, which confirms my suspicions!

I must admit the wiper does appear to overlap the windscreen and if I’m not mistaken it should have 120’ (not 130’ as RAHTR4 mentions), in addition I cannot seem to get this to park (no matter what i do), so again this seems to backup/confirm the wrong motor is fitted.

The PO (always blame the Previous Owner) has rigged up the motor to swipe, but not park at one speed and this too slow to be useful.

I clearly have the wiring and switch for a two speed, so it should be as simple as replacing (I guess a recon version).  Does anyone have a wiring diagram at switch and motor end, so I can get this working properly?  Also, any good places to buy a motor would be most helpful.

Thanks again to all that responded it has been very helpful…

22 hours ago, brenda said:

Gordon if you scroll down a few pages you will find work done on wiper motors. I have just replaced my motor. On my motor it has Red live from the ign switch and the wires from the wiper switch are earths to make the circuit. So you probably have one that should come from you ign switch and a earth from you wiper switch if it is a single speed motor.

Mike Redrose Group 

Thanks, very helpful.  Love the car (see the twin)

1967-Triumph-TR4A-Hero-1.jpg

The correct part number motor 75568 are pretty rare.  This is why I build replicas which are essentially the same or better.

Here is a photo of one sold on eBay yesterday.  This is based on an NOS service spare.

The other photo shows where I put the wires on the switch.

You do want a 120 gear.  These are also hard to find.  I have to make them.

The sweep rate of a motor and rack in original condition will be about 40 swipes per minute.  A two speed motor will do a bit more but only with a wet screen.

You might be happier with switching to a 14W type as used in later TR6's.  But you would have to fit the TR6 wheel boxes as well OR find a gear that will make the sweep angle come out right.

34477-3.jpg

brg-1.jpg

Hi Alan,

using the 14W motor on a TR4A - you can use the 4A existing wheel boxes but you need to fit a 90 degree gear wheel in the motor.

Using the 4A wheel boxes and a 90 degree wheel helps to increase the power/torque in the system.

A dry screen is no problem to sweep.

Roger

2 hours ago, AlanT said:

The correct part number motor 75568 are pretty rare.  This is why I build replicas which are essentially the same or better.

Here is a photo of one sold on eBay yesterday.  This is based on an NOS service spare.

The other photo shows where I put the wires on the switch.

You do want a 120 gear.  These are also hard to find.  I have to make them.

The sweep rate of a motor and rack in original condition will be about 40 swipes per minute.  A two speed motor will do a bit more but only with a wet screen.

You might be happier with switching to a 14W type as used in later TR6's.  But you would have to fit the TR6 wheel boxes as well OR find a gear that will make the sweep angle come out right.

34477-3.jpg

brg-1.jpg

thanks for the heads up, i'll do a bit of digging and get back to you.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Alan,

using the 14W motor on a TR4A - you can use the 4A existing wheel boxes but you need to fit a 90 degree gear wheel in the motor.

Using the 4A wheel boxes and a 90 degree wheel helps to increase the power/torque in the system.

A dry screen is no problem to sweep.

Roger

that sounds like a plan. thanks

2 hours ago, Lockjack said:

that sounds like a plan. thanks

...But the wiring is all wrong if you use a 14W instead of the DR3 unit.  Power starts at the switch with 14W unit (TR6/Spitfire 1500) NOT at the motor as it does originally on TR3A-4-4A-250-5. (Note:- I ignored TR3 as that could have had the non self parking CRT type motor same as TR2)

Peter W

.........and so you rewire it using the toggle switch as per the SVC instructions.

You also need an additional short loom (from Moss).  It really does work.

My 14W conversion is sooooooo powerful that if you hold a wiper blade and then hit the switch the car will flip over (I think) - h9nest.

Roger

21 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

...Note:- I ignored TR3 as that could have had the non self parking CRT type motor same as TR2

Peter W

........but if anyone out there has a masochistic tendency or a desire for originality I have just removed mine from the TR3 and replaced it with a TR6 2-speed kit. To be fair I was pleasantly surprised how effective the originals were in rain, but wobetide you if you just wanted to clean the screen when it wasn't pouring down!

26 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Aha!

You can buy just the plug with terminals and make up your own loom

https://www.autosparks.co.uk/electrical-components/plugs-connectors/automotive-plugs/2-speed-wiper-motor-plug-complete-with-terminals.html

Peter W

The quality and fit of the bearings, big-end bush and gear is nowhere near as good as the earlier motors.

You will see some backlash at the end of the blades. The TR6 motors were made to sweep 115 degrees, probably to get over this.

Torque is not much different on the SLOW speed but stays the same on the FAST range. Whereas the earlier motors have reduced torque when the speed rises.

If you are doing a lot of wet motorway trips this would be a good idea.

9 hours ago, RogerH said:

.........and so you rewire it using the toggle switch as per the SVC instructions.

You also need an additional short loom (from Moss).  It really does work.

My 14W conversion is sooooooo powerful that if you hold a wiper blade and then hit the switch the car will flip over (I think) - h9nest.

Roger

Ok so seems I have a choice:

1) recon/convert my existing motor ca£140+ (Quote from chap on eBay)
2) buy recon ca£200+ (seems to be going rate)

3) recon a W14 TR6 (which I have, but not sure how good it is) and rewire the loom/switch plus find 90 degree gear  (anyone got diagrams for doing this)  

I guess option 3 is the most efficient but probably not the cheapest?

thanks everyone for your time and information...

Edited by Lockjack

Hi Gordon,

have a look here https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/lucas-14w-2-speed-wiper-motor-with-moulded-ferrule/

14W motor apprx £60

Switch - £20

Gearwheel 90 degree - £26  (fitting is very simple)

Short conversion loom from Moss £20

You may get away with sorting out t your existing switch and making a short loom.

If you are considering doing lots of miles in wet weather then the 14W is the way to go.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Out of stock, on back order though.

Stuart.

I may be wrong, but I think the prices Roger mentioned are PLUS VAT.

These seem cheaper:

https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/2-speed-wiper-motor-14w-replaces-lucas-lrw110-1521-p.asp

I think you will also need the clamping kit;

https://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/lucas-12w-14w-wiper-motor-mount--strap--pad-stainless-steel-2890-p.asp

(There goes another £10.00)

Again, I may be wrong, but I think that the 14W motor was used on lots of 1960’s /1970’s UK cars, so maybe a scrap yard could help bring the cost down.

Just Goggle 14W wiper motor and you may find one even cheaper.

Interesting to hear what Alan T has to say. I wonder if there are rogue copies of the 14W out there to be aware of.

Charlie.