We may be moving yet again,  and I may be selling  my TR6 engine that  The car was dismantled in about 1980 and I stored the engine. It is a complete engine, gearbox and overdrive; it is an original 150 bhp. It has been stored in a garage. Any suggestions on what price I could ask for it?

Thanks Gordon

Hi Gordon,

If it came from a running car, with no known issues, it will be worth a bit more I think, 700-1200 range if complete.

Off course, it will require dismantling , inspection and overhaul.

If the axilaries like throttle bodies and exh manifold are also included, even more. Off course, it depends on the bidders, if someone is looking for it.

Good luck,

Waldi

I bought a complete TR6 US engine with Gearbox and carbs, with no starter motor, otherwise complete for £300.

I have seen the Injection bits commonly sell for £1,000 and A type overdrives are now a very expensive rarity at perhaps £750, I see Ebay has a gearbox & A overdrive for £1,950.

Perhaps it will fetch most with a little breaking into individual units, depends on condition as always.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4-5-6-A-TYPE-OVERDRIVE-GEARBOX-07752946855/323897521021?hash=item4b69cbf37d:g:Oi8AAOSw07lbdYu2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laycock-Overdrive-A-D-Type-Compact-Unit/264364448196?hash=item3d8d5959c4:g:V8UAAOSwFVFdBgp9

Alan

The problem for the buyer is that he is taking on an engine that's unknown (to him) and without warranty. That limits the price anyone will pay as the new owner will wish to factor in the cost of a rebuild.

I bought a running Triumph 2500S engine for £390 year ago. When I stripped it, everything was basically serviceable but not first class. Parts and machining for a thorough rebuild cost £2k. This included balancing bottom end and gas flowing the cylinder head, so could have been done cheaper but you get the idea.

I would pay about £500 for an unknown CP series engine. Some here may say I'm a soft touch!

Nigel

If the engine hasn’t run for years it will need a rebuild in the eyes of most buyers and a lead free conversion. At worst the block may be so corroded as to be scrap.

The prices mentioned for o/d gearboxes are for fully rebuilt units so again prices will reflect the assumed need for a rebuild. 

21 hours ago, Gordon Bayley said:

Thanks Paul for the offer, I'll put that dawn as (option 3.) :lol:

Put me down for option 4: $100 NZD -delivered to Auckland please! :rolleyes:

Aha, the auction has started:)

500 pound when delivered to my house in the Netherlands.

Come on, beat me and help Gordon.

Regards,

Waldi