Uprated front stub axles

I think MIck will have a comment or two re in-sprung weight on the Tr suspension.

But here is fascinating picture from the archives of John Ross.

http://www.johnrossmotorracingarchive.co.uk/index.php?twg_album=Triumph+TR3&twg_show=RB+778+-+Disc+brake+web.jpg

image.png.b5d746d136eac129ceeb1ae3cec6637e.png

Iain

Ps I am going to guess it’s a “works”car as you can see the two nuts holding the coil bracket to the inner wing.

Edited by iain
Clarity

Parts turned up today. 

Looks like good quality and good roller bearings  

Hhhhhmmmmm

57159B39-0022-4741-A98B-9E25CC870BD3.jpeg

Edited by Hamish

I should have the original and very good uprights somewhere. My local garage pressed the stubs out for a brew fund contribution. I have been using the moss -1.5 camber versions for a couple of seasons.

but have decided to upgrade some front end suspension. 

Very nice Hamish,

and good to see Timken bearings are supplied instead of unknown items.

When the alloy (“aluminium”) hubs warm up, the bearing clearances reduce, more than with a steel hub. So do not set them too tight. I assume there is a recommended clearance in the installation instruction? Especially important because with your competition drives the hubs will get hotter than an average tr6 hub, as heat is conducted from the hot disks to the hubs. Maybe good to check wheel bearing clearance and hub temperature after the first “hot ride”. Also do not overfill the hubs with grease, but liberal grease to the bearings is good.

Oh, and you cannot measure the temperature with a standard IR temperature gun due to the low emissivity of new “shiny” aluminium. If you would paint a large enough area black (or any other dark color) you could use an IR gun.

Best regards,

Waldi

On 29 October 2019 at 6:38 PM, iain said:

I think MIck will have a comment or two re in-sprung weight on the Tr suspension.

But here is fascinating picture from the archives of John Ross.

http://www.johnrossmotorracingarchive.co.uk/index.php?twg_album=Triumph+TR3&twg_show=RB+778+-+Disc+brake+web.jpg

image.png.b5d746d136eac129ceeb1ae3cec6637e.png

Iain

Ps I am going to guess it’s a “works”car as you can see the two nuts holding the coil bracket to the inner wing.

Tiny caliper.  Discs look different to stock TR  Spline is unique too.

Peter W

12 minutes ago, iain said:

Would these be Dunlop callipers and discs?

Iain

I think I have figured out the hubs now.  They look like real TR2 drum brake splined hubs with the disc bolted to the back of them. 

Yes the brake set up could well be Dunlop/Bendix.

Cheers

Peter W

Dunlop Bendix caliper.jpg

From the dating I would say a full Dunlop system with the stick on pads before Dunlop changed to the later so called "Quick change" pads, same as MK1 Jaguar.

Stuart.