Historic vehicles - number plates

I'm about to change my front number plate to a bonnet-top sticky (to allow a rally event plaque to be put on the front without masking the rad). We all know lots of 1960s cars had bonnet-top stick-on plates, not just the E-Types and Lotus 7s. BUT, I've struggling to find the actual legal source that might allow it (or not) for a classic car today.

As we all know, pre-1975 cars are allowed the old black and silver plates. But, I can''t find anything that says how they must be positioned... post 1975 plates must be vertical, but nothing on historic plates.

Can anyone point to the relevant authoritative source? (While I'd be delighted to hear "I've had them on my TR for 39 years, and never been pulled" or "my car always goes straight though MOT with them" etc, what I'm really after is a pointer to the legal authority that one might smugly show to a gentleman/woman in blue if it ever arose).

Cheers, Nigel

This just says pre 1973 must display etc

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/823552/vehicle-registration-numbers-and_number-plates-inf104.pdf

or this 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/part/II/made

7.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered before the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (4), a registration plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (3) on—

(a)the front of the vehicle, and

(b)the rear of—

(i)the vehicle or,

(ii)where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer or,

(iii)where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) This paragraph requires each plate to be fixed—

(a)in a vertical position or, where that is not possible, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, 

Well done Hamish, it's the 3 (a) statement which is referred to by MOT testers "as close to vertical as reasonably practical" if Nigel wants to "flash" something at officers of the law that's the "get out of jail" card he needs.

Mick Richards

Thanks, that 3(a) bit is pretty much what I was after I think. I can't see a busy copper wanting to debate what is "reasonably practicable" on a TR4, although I guess it could be argued that the rally event plates should go on the bonnet, leaving the space below the grille for the number plate!

A slight everyday down-side of a bonnet-top number (as I used to have on a Westfield) in any case is that it won't trigger the auto number recognition in a car park.

Nigel

1 minute ago, Tony_C said:

Bet the Westfield could have just gone under most car park barriers? ....

Just out of further interest, asking on behalf of a ‘friend’ etc, would this always work in all cases of ‘auto number recognition’? 

Not sure this front would work with  ANPR. 

but the rear would

94C6E521-25A3-46F0-8E9B-D9F47E4BE09D.jpeg

Of course you could put a number plate sized mesh painted black with the individual Letters and numbers held onto it by their clips in front of the oil cooler (as in my TR4 race car). Doesn't interfere with cooling and the car always went through MOTs without question and ANPR recordings.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Much easier and cheaper to by 4 suction cups for the Rally plates.

I’m told by Paul G driving the TRS they are Ok up to about 110mph....tested in Germany :-)....then they let go :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trade-Plate-Holders-40mm-Suction-Cups-Pack-of-4-Suckers-for-New-Style-Plates

Iain

A2A4D466-FE7B-434F-908B-B072EB32E829.jpeg

I presume that you wouldn't contemplate an asymmetric set up? I attach rally plates to this bracket, which is bolted to the bumper irons, with nylon ties (it has been tested to +110 mph :unsure:)

WP_20170603_11_49_17_Raw.jpg