Best door mirrors

Evening all

Want to drill the door mirror holes before blasting and paint.

Appreciate any advice as to what's the correct mirror for a 1969 UK PI and who sells the best ones.

Thanks

Andy

I don't know about the UK, but I think '69s got the Wingard Trapezium mirror in either stainless or chromed brass ( both types were produced ). Same as TR5/250, and even into 1970 perhaps. A sales brochure would be a good reference.

The trapezium is ( was? ) available from TRF in stainless and is a superb reproduction, though lacks the embossed WINGARD lettering with patent no. etc.

Pic below with the repro; the original is on the shelf!

Tom

XWX1.JPG

I have the standard black TEX mirrors.

No complaints, work well. 

Tim

I have the trapezoidal Wingard on my 6 which have been fitted since at least 1978 which is when I got the car. The only difference from the more commonly available Tex is that they are embossed Wingard. No issues so far!  Pic is from 1978 when I first got the car, I wish the driver had aged as well.

Derek

1978.jpg

Tex mirrors are as the originals. You will need to get an assistant to help you get the correct position for the mirror on the passenger door first. Then place the mirror on the driver's door to match.

If you do the driver's door mirror first, there's a risk you will find the other side needs to be in a different position on the passenger door.

Nigel

10 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Tex mirrors are as the originals. You will need to get an assistant to help you get the correct position for the mirror on the passenger door first. Then place the mirror on the driver's door to match.

If you do the driver's door mirror first, there's a risk you will find the other side needs to be in a different position on the passenger door.

Nigel

They aren't the originals for an early '69 car Nigel, they were the Trapezoidal ones as shown above (part number 622352), the same as specified for the TR5. Repro ones are available from Revingtons, great quality but they lack the original logo.

Ian

Edited by iani

Hi all

The Revington 622352 ones look nice and a good price compared to the other usual suspects. Presume the early cars had two?

Positioning wise bit difficult for me as I've no seats or steering wheel in situ at present. Anyone happy to take a paper template of the hole position and post it to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy 

If you click on my avatar picture thingy and enlarge the pic you will see bullet mirrors on my TR4....I think that they look better than the sticky out square ones on stalks....IMHO.

2 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

My 1969 CP Pi UK car came without any exterior mirrors...I just look in the rear view mirror and/or turn my head.

Fine if your neck works as it should. Unfortunately for some of us on here who are not as flexible as they used to be, that isn't easy any more and wing mirrors are a necessity rather than a luxury.

My TR5, bought in 1997, only had an external mirror of the 622352 type on the drivers door, which I believe is correct, as per Toms' TR250 above. Before my first European trip in 1998 I fitted a passenger door mirror to assist rear views when overtaking.

I placed it in the same position as that on the drivers door, which I believe to be the original location. I have never been able to get it into a sensible adjustment. There is insufficient range on the shallow "ball" joint fixing on the stem/mirror back plate to turn it where I would like it for horizontal adjustment. I've tried rotating the stem in the door to alter this but that ends up with it affecting the vertical adjustment. So I have the choice of looking at the hedges alongside the road I'm travelling on or up at the sky. I have also tried the stems rotated round to be curved both convex upwards or concave downwards. Made no difference at all. I have yet to perceive the area behind and alongside my car where another vehicle might be coming alongside me. 

I've resolved to solve the problem during the full restoration that I'm doing while the existing holes in the doors can be welded up and repositioned before paint.

I'd like to keep those mirrors for originality and have considered a circular tapered wedge shaped plate under the bottom of the stem, in stainless steel to avoid rusting, to bring the stem round to where I'd like it to bring the mirror into it's normal adjustment range. If that won't work I might have to change to different mirrors altogether.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Dave McD