Changing a wheel

Has anybody devised a way of changing a wheel without breaking your back,

Is there a tool 

The 350z has huge wheels and they are very heavy,  my back cant take it ,

Any suggestion,

I was thinking about, making something, an exstesion on a trolley jack that you can put the wheel on and pump it up,

Cheers pink 

Hi Pinky,

having an extended trolley jack could be fun on a dark wer and windy night.  Is there room in the boot for that.

I have an electric scissor jack for normal wheel changes (it saves have to pump or screw the jack with a  fully flat tyre.

An electric jack would certainly be easier to use - one handed operation

Roger

the link John has provided should cover your needs quite nicely  .... alternatively you could pay a teenager to move it for you (stopping short of child-labour)

...... Andy

A simple car ramp will suffice, place sloping section against wheel undo nuts and roll wheel down slope of ramp. Reverse procedure to refit.

Chris

I dont think the missus would like one of the above on the drive 

The nissan 350z wheels 18ins wide come in at about 30lbs to heavy for an olden like me,

I tried the ramp, still struggled 

The wheel jack is a good one, but expensive,

Going to have to make one 

Pinky my man, I have here the GUARANTEED low cost/low tech  way to get a wheel lifted which is about handbag sized.

Caravan wheel lifter/leveler  This link is to a used one on e bay at £25, sounds cheap to me, but just noticed he has it down as a collect only, maybe worth a contact to ask ? there are some other new models at about the £50 mark. My S Max has 205 x 16s on which aren't bad for weight  but the wheel is fixed by bolts and is a bugger to hold up as you try and get a bolt started, this would sort it out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-leveller-good-condition/293288369822?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D78342453ab1a46abbf21caa026eabb51%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D293289466350%26itm%3D293288369822%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109 

When caravans are being sited sometimes they are not level across the width as they sit on the ground, to combat this there is a small hinged frame with threaded winch affixed which you can use a socket wrench on or electric driver. You drive the caravan onto it and screw it up to the height needed. This lifts the wheel and that side of the caravan by up to maybe 5/6" and so can also be used to lift your monster 350z wheel.  

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Or if your in a hurry

Edited by ChrisR-4A
1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Pinky my man, I have here the GUARANTEED low cost/low tech  way to get a wheel lifted which is about handbag sized.

Caravan wheel lifter/leveler  This link is to a used one on e bay at £25, sounds cheap to me, but just noticed he has it down as a collect only, maybe worth a contact to ask ? there are some other new models at about the £50 mark. My S Max has 205 x 16s on which aren't bad for weight  but the wheel is fixed by bolts and is a bugger to hold up as you try and get a bolt started, this would sort it out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-leveller-good-condition/293288369822?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D78342453ab1a46abbf21caa026eabb51%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D293289466350%26itm%3D293288369822%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109 

When caravans are being sited sometimes they are not level across the width as they sit on the ground, to combat this there is a small hinged frame with threaded winch affixed which you can use a socket wrench on or electric driver. You drive the caravan onto it and screw it up to the height needed. This lifts the wheel and that side of the caravan by up to maybe 5/6" and so can also be used to lift your monster 350z wheel.  

Mick Richards

Your the man Mick, a proper engineer, that will do the job, 

Thanks pink 

That's how I muddle through with it now Pete, but since I've snapped 2 tendons in my left shoulder (mountain biking) the lifting of the wheel when at floor level to get it on the bolt/stud also gives my shoulder a tweak.

A mechanical cheap method of lift and holding wheel in place without effort attracts me greatly. This is what I've just bought, I got it for £30 with free postage included.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153685315670?ul_noapp=true    with it being two hinged plates it folds up even neater than the other model I showed Pinky. It will live in the tow car until need in the garage or on the caravan. 

Regards Mick Richards

43 minutes ago, billy l said:

On our fire engines we used to use a shovel, the wheel sits in the dish of the blade then a push down on the handle (lots of leaverage) raises the wheel to the correct height. (simples) cheers, Bill.

Done that as well Billy, trouble is to use the leverage of the shovel to lift the wheel and to fit bolt through wheel into hub means stepping on the shovel handle and which is difficult to keep consistent (wheel height wobbles about) whilst you try and locate bolt through it into the hub..."who's calling the Golden Shot " ? Truck wheels normally go onto studs so don't have that problem.

Mick Richards

3 minutes ago, Geko said:

Runflat tyres 

Very bad ride characteristics (the run flats have side walls that hardly deform (that's why they don't go flat) with the air normally just helping the ride (not much). Also have a reputation of causing wheel cracks (BMW et al) because of reduced impact damping from the low profile very hard sidewall tyres. Plus you have to have a Tyre Low Pressure Monitoring system on board because the Run Flat doesn't give much indication you've got a flat and if you drive very far (maybe 50 mile limit) the side walls then eventually cry ...enough ! and the tyre is buggered which means another £260 or whatever to replace it.

I understand you can either reinflate the tyre and depending upon leak rate continue stopping to reinflate at say 10 mile intervals until you can get it repaired or replaced or when you get bored bang some pre mix goo in which will stop the leak (maybe) and risk the tyre company not wanting to risk a repair anyway. Many owners prefer to change back onto standard tyre packages when they wear out (the standard wheels supplied can normally be used).

I do understand some drivers like them (you don't carry a spare) and have to bother with the dirty mechanical stuff.

Mick Richards

17 hours ago, pinky said:

Has anybody devised a way of changing a wheel without breaking your back,

Is there a tool 

The 350z has huge wheels and they are very heavy,  my back cant take it ,

eh ?   I just lower lower the car's jack to the appropriate height and roll the wheel into position.  There's no lifting of the heavy wheel and tyre.  

Although I tend to use a hydraulic trolley jack at home, most screw car jacks have fine adjustment and are more controllable when lowering. 

22 minutes ago, Bfg said:

eh ?   I just lower lower the car's jack to the appropriate height and roll the wheel into position.  There's no lifting of the heavy wheel and tyre.  

Although I tend to use a hydraulic trolley jack at home, most screw car jacks have fine adjustment and are more controllable when lowering. 

I don't think we are talking TRs in the main, as I remember the 350z has likely got very wide tyres and wheels which need to be tilted over the top of the caliper and underneath the wing to allow it to be wiggled into the wheelarch, and the same with my caravan where it has a part spat covering the top 1/4 (non removable) and then over the brake drum with the tyre tread only 1" from the Motor mover roller and then fixed by bolts. Without lifting the wheel neither are easy to do by rolling into position at preset jack height, agree on my TR the 165s will roll in and be shuffled around to fit over the studs.

Mick Richards

7 hours ago, stillp said:

Mick, would a spare bolt with the head cut off and a screwdriver slot added be helful?

Pete

That is precisely the guide method I added to the tyre change kit of my modern.

Petee W

Brilliant!    Here's a video of how it's used - not the Sealey one but one just like it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Wheel+dolly&&view=detail&mid=DABBA53A10B39230A3A5DABBA53A10B39230A3A5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Maybe we should all have one for our sixtieth!   I know I want one!

John