Body shell in front of the lower rear axle wishbones cracking

I have the problem that the body shell getting cracks from driving right in front of the lower rear axle wishbones.

I sit from time to time on a crack :-)

Is this a weak spot on these cars and are there concepts to reinforce it?

I would put a 2nd layer of sheet metal on that area. Would this be solving this?

Do you mean the fixing point that is under the rear corner behind the seat?

If so it is likely to be one of the weak/rot spots.

Both of mine have gone and if memory serves me correct there are replacement sections available.

As for reinforcement, that would be an owners option. They've lasted this long as standard.

I'm asking because if this is a standard week spot it needs to get on the "look at after race list".

The forces in my car are high. Things break from time to time. But it is not a nice thought to losing the whole rear axle at 150 mph.

The brackets fixed there that carry the rear trailing arms (or rods with yours) used to crack where they were welded to the rear bulkhead and floor on mine Chris, mid season and end of season I drilled the crack ends and rewelded and that's running on "wussy"  7" x 13"  treaded tyres and the paltry grip we engendered against your 11" monster tyres so I'm not surprised. I thought of replating the area but never got round to it. The twist and stresses you are putting into the rear bulkhead and firescreen area is just "wiggle woggling" the material and inputting fatigue into the area. I'd thought of welding fabricated brackets in stronger material inside the original fixing points to strengthen and spread the loads for future racing.

Mick Richards    

11" are the front tires. The rear ones are 12.5 or 13, depending on the tire brand I'm using....currently AVON in 12.5" size.

I do feel the shock on the axle, when accelerating or getting off throttle and the up and down shifts.

Good you had the same problem, then I have the nudge to do something to strengthen it

Edited by MadMarx