Beware of voltage drop!

1 hour ago, astontr6 said:

They are if you terminate to the MOD spec for vechicle wire termination! Crimp first then solder!

Bruce.

Bruce--

Ive always been interested in this question.  Where can I get more info on this MOD spec?

Ed

6 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Bruce--

Ive always been interested in this question.  Where can I get more info on this MOD spec?

Ed

Have a read of this to start https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/33549/spec34.pdf

Stuart.

Note the foreword :

The Specification covers electrical installations for buildings other than dwellings.

(My emphasis). It's about mains distribution, not relevant to plant or equipment. 

4 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Page 8: "3.3.1 All connections and terminations shall normally be by means of compression fittings. Solder maybe used only for connecting or terminating paper-insulated cables"

J.

Power distribution cables, slightly different to the type of cabling referred to above.

Stuart.

Just now, RobH said:

Note the foreword :

The Specification covers electrical installations for buildings other than dwellings.

(My emphasis). It's about mains distribution, not relevant to plant or equipment. 

It was the only MOD reference I could find at the time.

Stuart.

... and a bit out of date too I'm afraid . I think you will find you have to register as a contractor to get the proper Def Stans:

https://www.contracts.mod.uk/defence-media/defence-standards/

There are LOTS of them and finding the relevant one is time consuming

Edited by RobH
3 hours ago, stuart said:

Oh it does they are so handy, Ive been using them since they came out in the early eighties, best Irish invention!

Stuart.

Ha ha Hi Stuart,

What I meant to say was the crimper is very portable so is the gas solder gun but using solder does not make it better. 

Mr.Average may not have a calibrated crimper but then again most folk do not have many of the correct tools (or possibly skills for that mater)

If it is crimped reasonably well it will outlast the car.

Roger

In my view the answer to this question is that both methods will work effectively and equally well as long as they are done correctly using the proper tools (including the very effective portable gas soldering iron).  Being in the trade I have seen factory and other crimped connections fail due to insulation inclusion or poor crimping of the conductor.  I may have seen a broken soldered connector, but in my view this possibility is regularly overstated and a cold joint is the more common fault.

Each to their own - I use both!

Put it like this if my soldering can stand Roger Daltrey throwing his mic around all night then Im damned sure it will stand being on a TR

Stuart.

17 hours ago, ed_h said:

Bruce--

Ed

As I am now retired! I used to have access to all these specs. You have to be a registered contractor to obtain them and a supplier to them or know someone in the know.

Bruce.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Put it like this if my soldering can stand Roger Daltrey throwing his mic around all night then Im damned sure it will stand being on a TR

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I was recently at a 'Tommy' live bash with Goldhawk. They only do 'Who' stuff.

The look-a-like Roger Daltry launched the mic and didn't catch it.

Wow - what a thump on the stage and through the speakers.

Roger

47 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

I was recently at a 'Tommy' live bash with Goldhawk. They only do 'Who' stuff.

The look-a-like Roger Daltry launched the mic and didn't catch it.

Wow - what a thump on the stage and through the speakers.

Roger

Engineers would have loved that, they`ll be spending the next day changing drivers, all the profit gone from that night then.

Stuart.

Gas powered soldering iron ???

Pah !

I’ve done many a quick fix using a Zippo lighter for the heat source and a piece of thick copper wire for the bit.

You kids today don’t know you are born…

My way of terminating is to use a crimp type connector, remove the coloured insulation, crimp the wire, then solder.

I finish it all off with a good length sleeve of shrink wrap, the type with the heat activated glue inside.

Connector.thumb.jpg.43f7d5abdf0cd0bce79de15ef6969265.jpg

You get a reasonably well-sealed connector with a semi rigid sleeve going back up the wire far enough to give it mechanical support.

But as everyone says, we all have our own way of doing it.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie,

at 57 I’m representing the younger generation. Can I use my Iphone to solder?

is there a solder App?

Cheers,

Waldi

7 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Gas powered soldering iron ???

Pah !

I’ve done many a quick fix using a Zippo lighter for the heat source and a piece of thick copper wire for the bit.

You kids today don’t know you are born…

My way of terminating is to use a crimp type connector, remove the coloured insulation, crimp the wire, then solder.

I finish it all off with a good length sleeve of shrink wrap, the type with the heat activated glue inside.

Connector.thumb.jpg.43f7d5abdf0cd0bce79de15ef6969265.jpg

You get a reasonably well-sealed connector with a semi rigid sleeve going back up the wire far enough to give it mechanical support.

But as everyone says, we all have our own way of doing it.

Charlie.

+1 for the glue-lined heat shrink, marvellous stuff.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, RobH said:

There is a wide choice of solder both tin/lead and lead-free

Lead-free solder? Spawn of the Devil! For the record, I believe lead-free is banned from military and aerospace applications, and with good reason - it's prone to poor quality joints on circuit boards etc. Give me lead in my solder every time for electronics work!

Cheers, Richard

On 10/22/2019 at 9:09 AM, stuart said:

if my soldering can stand Roger Daltrey throwing his mic around all night then Im damned sure it will stand being on a TR

Stuart, I suppose it depends on whether Roger suffers from tremors (delirium or otherwise - but I don't think he drinks) which simulates the sort of vibrations you get on a TR. What do you think? This is one reason for using crimps on vehicles. The other is taking the skill out of making a good joint. Good soldering takes training but, so long as everything's in the right place, crimp works every time.

Connectors intended for soldering will have a cable clamp of some sort a short distance behind the solder bucket, usually in the shell of the plug for example. With crimp, this is part of the contact and is done all in one operation, so no further cable clamp is required.

Cheers, Richard

22 minutes ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Lead-free solder? Spawn of the Devil! For the record, I believe lead-free is banned from military and aerospace applications, and with good reason - it's prone to poor quality joints on circuit boards etc. Give me lead in my solder every time for electronics work!

Cheers, Richard

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you Richard as witness my stock of the 'good' stuff, but bear in mind that most if not all commercial and consumer electronics equipment has been made with lead-free solder for the past ten years or so.