Lhd Overdrive switch

Perhaps a stupid question but here goes--can a lhd Overdrive column switch be fitted to a rhd steering column on the TR6. Looking at lhd and rhd Overdrive switches the only difference I can see is the wiring is on reverse side but the switch doesn't actually mount to the steering column it fits into the cowling.  Please can anyone answer this question? 

Kind Regards

Michael

Hi Michael, I think the Lhd switch can be fitted to a Rhd steering column; I believe that was the case with my TR6 when I first bought it, as you had to flick the switch UP to engage O/drive. I discovered that this wasn't correct when that switch failed, & I had to fit a new (Rhd) switch, which worked the other way 'round... Or maybe it was wired the wrong way?   I certainly didn't alter the connections....

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by TR Paul

Michael,

Yes.

I have a UK TR6 with the standard overdrive switch on the RH side of the cowl. I bought a second cowl with switch hole  and fitted a LHdrive OD switch into the new cowl on the LH side of the wheel and wired it as the headlight dip switch.  

I could never find the foot dip switch in a hurry, now it is really easy.

Alan

My LHD TR6 had a LHD overdrive switch mounted on the left of the coloumn (in the cowling), I found that I was constantly knocking the car out of overdrive when using the wiper switch so I changed to a RHD overdrive switch mounted on the right to get around the problem. The 2 switches are identical apart from the way the stalk is bent.

George

Alan the lhd and rhd Overdrive switches are mirror images of each other so the lever points upwards on both and the wiring on the rear is also the same for both--as I said only difference I can see is that on the lhd switch the wiring is on the front so if this was moved to the right the switch would need to be turned over leaving the wiring then on the back - is the cowling big enough on rhd cars to allow the lhd Overdrive switch  wires to be on the back that's what I'm wondering now? 

Thank you

Michael

Screenshot_20191019_222918.jpg

Screenshot_20191019_222856.jpg

Edited by michaeldavis39

If its ant help some PO has fitted my overdrive switch to the left hand side of the steering column which  allows one's  right hand to stay on the wheel when engaging O/D. It works backwards-down to engage O/D- but I find this no problem .

2 hours ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Mike C could you not take the cowl apart that the switch fits into and the turn the switch over? 

Michael

No, had a look and the bend in the arm would point towards the dashboard. Besides I'm used to "flick down=higher gear".