Wanted one brush for old plastic lucas washer bottle motor, no carbon left on one but the other is perfect. The brush is sort of fused onto its brass arm.

If someone has an old knackered one pls let me know TIA.

P1070721.JPG

Tom,

Sorry I can’t help you, but it does pose the interesting question.

How do you attach carbon to brass?

I guess it’s quite a common occurrence with brushes.

If there is an easy answer it would be quite simple to carve a new bit of carbon from any spare brush and attach it in place.

I bet someone here knows the answer…

Charlie.

If you can fashion a new carbon contact then a silver loaded adhesive (Araldite do one),

Or drill a hole in the brass where the carbon fits against. Shape the carbon so that a similar raise bit sits in the hole the use an Araldite adhesive on the back. 

Roger

I fixed a whole batch of these for a chap in Ireland.

I found that the older type of carbon-brushes had a mixture of carbon and copper and you can easily solder these in the usual way.

This won't work with modern brush material which is all Carbon.  By modern I mean post 1965 or so.

Filing carbon-brushes to size is easy with a roughish file.

PM me if you want some old copper based brushes.  It's my belief they were originally done this way.

These little motors are pretty delicate and prone to several problems, mainly to do with end-float.  Something pulled the brush off.  So you need to check the rest of it before breaking another one.

Also the pressure the brush arm exerts on the commutator is quite important.  Your arm looks bent in too much.

Oh and watch out they are a handed pair because of the turned over end.

Off load they run at about 8000 rpm.  Nothing like this when working of course.

5SJ-brush-4.jpg

5SJ-brush-5.jpg

Edited by AlanT
add photos
On 10/20/2019 at 12:42 PM, AlanT said:

I fixed a whole batch of these for a chap in Ireland.

I found that the older type of carbon-brushes had a mixture of carbon and copper and you can easily solder these in the usual way.

This won't work with modern brush material which is all Carbon.  By modern I mean post 1965 or so.

Filing carbon-brushes to size is easy with a roughish file.

PM me if you want some old copper based brushes.  It's my belief they were originally done this way.

These little motors are pretty delicate and prone to several problems, mainly to do with end-float.  Something pulled the brush off.  So you need to check the rest of it before breaking another one.

Also the pressure the brush arm exerts on the commutator is quite important.  Your arm looks bent in too much.

Oh and watch out they are a handed pair because of the turned over end.

Off load they run at about 8000 rpm.  Nothing like this when working of course.

Alan your in box is full, I cannot PM you Best Pete.

5SJ-brush-4.jpg

5SJ-brush-5.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Alan. I tried unsuccessfully to send you an email. I have a 1968 Triumph TR250 and am attempting to rebuild the windshield washer motor, a Lucas 5SJ.  It was in pretty bad shape when I took it apart but I think I cleaned up most of the corrosion. I reassembled and the armature now manually spins freely. However, one of the brush heads was missing, similiar to Pete's picture above.   Regarding your earlier post, do you still have any brushes?  I live in Los Angeles and can't find any source here in the United States for the parts.  Thank you! 

Jeff

Edited by JeffB
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...