Modified TR6 - help required on valve cleaerances

Hi everyone, I have a US imported TR6 that was re-built by the late Alan Wadley (TR Workshop, Cirencester), and converted to petrol injection. The engine conversion was as follows:

125bhp upgraded to 150bhp with an extractor manifold, sports exhaust, and a Stage 2 conversion, converted to lead free, I was told that a fast road camshaft ("TH5 Fast Road 83") had also been fitted.

My question is - does all this seem reasonable, who makes the camshaft and what should I set the inlet and exhaust clearances to, s they seem a bit rattley at present?

Cheers colin.

It's made by Kent Cams. Google provide the details.

https://www.kentcams.com/part/TH5-6?manufacturer=33&model=180&engine=95

The valve clearances are listed with the other tech details on the Kent website. It looks to be slightly longer duration than the factory CP series cam, 280 for your cam vs factory cam with 270 degrees.

Nigel

15 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

It's made by Kent Cams. Google provide the details.

https://www.kentcams.com/part/TH5-6?manufacturer=33&model=180&engine=95

The valve clearances are listed with the other tech details on the Kent website. It looks to be slightly longer duration than the factory CP series cam, 280 for your cam vs factory cam with 270 degrees.

Nigel

I am sorry to say that I would be very wary of any cam shaft that is a regrind and that type is one of those that Moss had back in droves and have now gone to using new blanks only  as supplied by Newman.  In the past this Forum is full of tales of woe where people have used that type of cam shaft/make . So after adjusting those clearances keep an eye open to seen if they are opening up again which will show that the harden metal surface was ground off when it was reground which of course is not what you want! How old is that cam shaft? My advice is to only use Newman cams and deal direct with them and use their cam followers which was another area of contention with Moss.  Good Luck.

Bruce.

Those Kent TH5 cams had a bit of a reputation for wearing out. Partly cos they needed careful running in but few people were told that at time of purchase.  I got one 17 years ago and it is still in fine condition. Mileage uncertain due to dodgy mileometer but must be at least 50k. Big clearances so a bit rattly indeed.  The PI system needed recalibrating to cope, was runnning weak at top end. When its set up right the performance is great.

Enjoy!

Edited by chrismitchell
Maths wrong

This might help, had to go back to 1993 service records for BUO but found this I had a fast road '89 fitted in 93 and pulled it out of the engine in 2017 had done about 60K miles and still looked good but I don't think the 89 was as 'hot' as the 83

Scan 3.jpeg

Edited by Graham

OK thanks to everyone for responding.

Yes, on the assumption that I actually have a Kent Cams TH5 Fast Road 83 camshaft (sadly cant check with Alan Wadley), it looks like data is 22 IN and 24 EX. Looking at my maintenance history logs mine  were set to 14 IN and 18 EX, some 10 years ago following Alan Wadley`s advice. They haven't been touched since, but I don`t do many miles.

Are you all kinda saying that my settings are too tight, or perhaps get the cover of and have a play? Problem is I don`t really know what I am listening for?

Cheers, Colin..  

Moss' Sprint 83 may have same values as Kent TH5-6, this does NOT mean Kent supplies their TH5-6 to Moss.

Many suppliers buy blancs and machine them. Same happens here in Germany with Bastuck. Kent Cams come in a Kent Box !!

As far as the clearance concerned 22 IN and 24 EX are a little overkill. I use 20 IN and 22 EX....actually making it a 288 degrees cam.

Sofar with my TH12 (270) and TH5 (280) cam no problems. I am sticking with Kent. Just bought the TH6 (290) one. 

Jochem

4 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

Moss' Sprint 83 may have same values as Kent TH5-6, this does NOT mean Kent supplies their TH5-6 to Moss.

Many suppliers buy blancs and machine them. Same happens here in Germany with Bastuck. Kent Cams come in a Kent Box !!

As far as the clearance concerned 22 IN and 24 EX are a little overkill. I use 20 IN and 22 EX....actually making it a 288 degrees cam.

Sofar with my TH12 (270) and TH5 (280) cam no problems. I am sticking with Kent. Just bought the TH6 (290) one. 

Jochem

I bought a TT one from Moss last year and it came in a Kent Cams box - it seems they make them to the TT spec (which is similar to their own tbh).

• 3 years later...

The exact tappet gaps for specific cams are variable. Many of the profiles were borrowed from other engines and found to work on the TR engines. However to optimise performance on engines with different bore/stroke the tappet gaps may be significantly different to a standard cam. Partly to ensure optimum opening and closing of the valves to let the fuel/air be drawn in at the right time but also to enable complete combustion. Altering the gaps can alter the point of maximum load on the lobes too. 24/22 may sound big but is quite common. Reducing the gap may result in incompletely burned fuel coming out into the exhaust.

See what gaps you have. That will give a clue if they are wider than 10:10. If they are 10:10 then you won't know if they are meant to be that or if someone has unwittingly set them to standard.

9 hours ago, Greaser said:

I worked with Alan Wadley for a while at TR Workshops in Cirencester - big shame his business partner shafted him for thousands 

I first met Alan Wadley back in 1998 when I was looking to buy a TR6, and visited his unit in Cirencester. Became quite friendly with him over the following years whilst he was building my car. I always found him to be a nice friendly, honest and genuine guy and was very knowledgeable on TR cars etc. I believe he had a partner that was kinda part time and also has a job somewhere else so wasn`t always there at the workshop. I recall his name was Mike I think?

So what exactly went wrong with the partnership?

Regards, Colin. 

I think you will need to check and note the actual valve lift when fully open,  when you set the tappets you do it on the back of the cam, so you will not see how much wear there, the wear will be off the top of the lobe.

John

1 hour ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Thread resurrection from 2019, so hopefully the OP got it sorted in the last 4 years !

:D

Sometimes we never find out :(

Stuart

On 5/31/2023 at 11:01 AM, c.hydes said:

I first met Alan Wadley back in 1998 when I was looking to buy a TR6, and visited his unit in Cirencester. Became quite friendly with him over the following years whilst he was building my car. I always found him to be a nice friendly, honest and genuine guy and was very knowledgeable on TR cars etc. I believe he had a partner that was kinda part time and also has a job somewhere else so wasn`t always there at the workshop. I recall his name was Mike I think?

So what exactly went wrong with the partnership?

Regards, Colin. 

As you say he was very knowledgeable on all things TR especially TR6 - apparently he was on the production line when the last TR6 rolled off . He rebuilt and serviced most TRs and he also bought LHD E-Type Jags from California and we converted them to RHD . I managed to damage the aluminum switch panel on an E-Type we were converting when tightening a flickswitch . The screwdriver slipped and scored the panel necessitating a new one . I was not flavour of the month .

In another faux pas another mechanic left a deep socket on the nut of the rocker cover of a TR6  and closed the bonnet - oops .

The business partner was allegedly taking spare parts and storing them in his garage and flogging them to benefit himself . He was discovered and the 'friendship' ended .But I think that heralded the demise of the business .

I'm sure I saw the business partner working on a till at Loseley House , Guildford some time later - his name escapes me .