Stop/tail lamps

Hi Ian, I think there made of that awful Mazac metal and if badly pitted will not rechrome  well at all. 
they are available new, but costly.

Hi Ian,

if the corrosion blistering is very light then a decent metal finisher can polish out the pits and then re-chrome (usually copper/nickel/chrome)

If the corrosion pits are deep then polishing is no god as it will reduce the wall thickness to paper thin. The Pits will need building up with copper and then polishing back until it is all flush.

The quality is often better than new but!!! it may cost more than a new unit.

TRShop in London do them for £120.  A quality re-chrome may be nearer £150.

Roger

At least with new units you get everything, new bulb holders and those bits of circuit board behind them which hold the wires and have a habit of disintegrating when you go to change a bulb!

PhotoPictureResizer_191020_131322958_crop_1348x706.thumb.jpg.1fe16a8960043dc037e7183284d54df7.jpg

Edited by ChrisR-4A

Do be aware with the new units unless they have changed them the red and green wires are reversed.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

if the corrosion blistering is very light then a decent metal finisher can polish out the pits and then re-chrome (usually copper/nickel/chrome)

If the corrosion pits are deep then polishing is no god as it will reduce the wall thickness to paper thin. The Pits will need building up with copper and then polishing back until it is all flush.

The quality is often better than new but!!! it may cost more than a new unit.

TRShop in London do them for £120.  A quality re-chrome may be nearer £150.

Roger

Also the metal finisher will have to strip out the lampholders, which might well need renewing afterwards. 

TR Shop sometimes have rear lamps on special pricing - I paid about £180 for a pair a couple of years ago. I don't think they included the fixing screws so I had to re-use the old ones. 

Pete