Interesting 4 pot engine on eBay

Hello All,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-MOTOR-COMPANY-87MM-Engine-used-in-Triump-TR3b-4-ferguson-tractor/254392656414?hash=item3b3afbe21e:g:aQ4AAOSwSoNdqYoN

Obviously it isn’t a TR4  engine (Even though it says it will fit!)

From the position of the starter motor hole it looks like it came from a tractor, but it has what looks like a torque converter (Did Fergy’s have an auto gear box?)

There is also a different timing chain cover (looks cast).
Oil filler seems to be on the side, with a breather pipe (I guess) coming out of the rocker cover.
Also has an alternator. (Did the Fergy not have a dynamo?)

Seller says it’s from a fork lift truck.

All a bit odd to me.

Charlie.

There doesn’t seem to be any way into the inlet manifold from the outside world, unless it’s from underneath.

Maybe it was a “Friday afternoon engine” and they just put bits together upside down and in the wrong place to get if t finished as quick as possible so they could get down to the pub for opening time.

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Isn't that an LPG regulator? If it is though, where's the oil filler?

Pete

That would make sense seeing it was a forklift. 

Whats the feed into the top of the rocker cover ?

The advert says “zenith 28g carb”.

I’ve discovered that it’s an updraught carb. So I guess it would be bolted below the inlet manifold.

And Google has many mentions that it was used on the Fergy.

There are two tubes coming out from the manifold side.
A big one (Air in?”)
And a smaller one. Too big for petrol, but maybe,  as Pete has mentioned, it runs on LPG (So no need for a petrol pump.)

But the timing chain cover still intrigues me.
And I still think the item on the fuel pump area is for pouring in oil. Where else would you pour it?

Looks like rocker cover vent to exhaust manifold and gas inlet pipe to inlet manifold. 
There’s a crankcase vent where fuel pump usually fits and an original tr type oil filter canister below. On the front of the engine it looks like a tr type water pump but has a fan blade mounted on it instead of on the crankshaft.

Big Pipe below inlet manifold could be exhaust.

Below that is what looks like a cast cover over the timing gears which contains a gas regulator/inlet timing device .

The engine backplate is unique as starter mounting hole is on Lh side above oil filter.

I would think it would produce a good 50 bhp at about 3000-3500 rpm so rather in your tr than mine!

Edited by ChrisR-4A

It looks like it may have a Low port cylinder head, there is no water heater boss at the rear of the engine, but the dipstick is in the TR position and it has alloy pushrod tubes a la TR4a  Aaaarrgghhh leave it alone.

Mick Richards

4 hours ago, stillp said:

Isn't that an LPG regulator? If it is though, where's the oil filler?

Pete

I'll withdraw that suggestion, since there's an inlet, but no outlet, or perhaps the other way round. There's a hole on the clutch side of that whatever-it-is that's fitted where a 4A would have a fuel pump. Perhaps that vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold is intended to connect there to draw fumes from the crankcase?

Pete

It would be from a Coventry Climax forklift. The engine they used was close to the tractor engine. From recollection (I was with their auditors in the early '70's) they used the 4 pot well into the 1970s and even had a batch of cylinder blocks cast in India when ST had exhausted their stock.

Phil

I sent the details to Ian Gibson, who has just returned from a trip to Holland and now gives us the story in full detail:

The engine is an Industrial version of a Ferguson Tractor engine.  These were not common because although Ferguson continued with petrol and petrol/TVO engines way into the fifties the prospective users of Industrial versions were largely into diesel engines by that time.  I think you will find that only Coles Cranes and Conveyancer Trucks used Industrial versions of the Ferguson petrol tractor engines.

Completely useless for a TR of any sort.  It has the massive tractor cylinder block, a speed governor on the camshaft, and a single updraught Zenith 24T-2 carburettor.  A number off the cylinder block would have pinned it down precisely, though the oil filler is placed very close to, or overlapping, the engine number location!!  Although partly concealed by a piece of rope I think that the inlet manifold will be Stanpart 301760 which was peculiar to the Industrial engines and not used on the tractors.

It could be altered to fit a Ferguson tractor but I think it will prove a very "hard sell" unless someone buys it unaware that it is not suitable for a car -- not even a Vanguard!