Bonet Badge fixing hole template

Could anybody make me a paper/cardboard template for the fixing holes for the bonnet badge on a TR5 please. I'm selling my TR4 and I think I will get more money for it if I badge it as a TR5 before sale :ph34r: No seriously my project TR5 has been fitted with a TR4 bonnet. I haven't got the £'s, enthusiasm or space yet to pull the trigger on the full restoration so I'm just picking away at the bits and pieces at the moment so a bonnet restoration is in budget within attention span and I should manage to get this done in the shed ! 

I will need to weld up all the 'TRIUMPH' holes and repair it where its been spilt I assume due to slamming (think Moss do reinforcing plates) but apart from that a quick strip and coat of Bonda Primer, job should be a good'n  well average'un  as its me but nothing the body shop won't sort out when I do the full monty !

Edited by Graham
15 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

I have a paper one I made up a few years ago and you are welcome to borrow it.

You have been to me before (Hemel Hempstead) so not far from you.

PM me for the address.

Regards Harry

15 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

Harry beat me to it. I was just about to post that I have the bonnet off my TR5 so could make a template tomorrow but it seems you're sorted.

Dave McD

Thanks Guys,  Harry PM sent 

17 minutes ago, david ferry said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the frame underneath was moved to take account of the TR5/250 badge position.

I’m in the workshop tomorrow and if you’d like me to see if I have a TR5 bonnet, do let me know.

David

Hi Dave yes if you could please

13 hours ago, david ferry said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that the frame underneath was moved to take account of the TR5/250 badge position.

I’m in the workshop tomorrow and if you’d like me to see if I have a TR5 bonnet, do let me know.

David

No it wasnt, they just scalloped extra holes out of the re-enforcing frame to cope with the badge fixings.

Stuart.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, david ferry said:

David

I think the frame was altered between TR4 and 4A.

Looking at the existing, all be it badly filled, holes in my bonnet I think its a 4a one as the fixing holes for the badge appear quite widely vertically spaced so guessing this would be for the 4a 'book' type triumph badge rather than the earlier 'world' badge but possibly i'm wrong ( won't be the last time)  and somebody  may well tell me they both used the same fixing holes  !

But is anybody able to post a photo of what the inside of a genuine 5/250 bonnet looks like where the badge fits please. As the bonnet I have is very good rust wise its just 'lived a little' so trying to decide if the differences make it worth sourcing a new (proper) bonnet or fixing the one I have.

Do these help Graham? I believe it to be an original 5 bonnet.

Cheers

Tim

IMG_5230s.thumb.JPG.3f417cdfed3c709e35a46b3b8c32556e.JPGIMG_5224s.thumb.JPG.d3456f87ea15329de802eeadc98e8b53.JPGIMG_5223s.thumb.JPG.7e2e0051441614e082e8667f08633d81.JPG

Is mine not an original bonnet then?

Tim

2 hours ago, Tim T said:

Do these help Graham? I believe it to be an original 5 bonnet.

Cheers

Tim

IMG_5230s.thumb.JPG.3f417cdfed3c709e35a46b3b8c32556e.JPGIMG_5224s.thumb.JPG.d3456f87ea15329de802eeadc98e8b53.JPGIMG_5223s.thumb.JPG.7e2e0051441614e082e8667f08633d81.JPG

2 hours ago, Peter V W said:

The front pin should be located in the centre of the circle as shown.

B9CB6778-3353-43CF-8BAD-EDF77E56684F.jpeg

Many thanks 

Next question could anybody let me know what size the fixing holes are supposed to be and what the diameter of the cut outs in the reinforcing ribs are please

ATB Graham

Well mine are 4mm and 15mm diameters.

Tim

4 hours ago, Tim T said:

Well mine are 4mm and 15mm diameters.

Tim

3 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Yes 4mm and the rubber/plastic plugs pushed into the holes first then the badge pins pushed in. I used a dab of clear silicone to stop prying fingers  removing it.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Thanks Guys 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Graham, 

Are you sorted now?  I have in my files some photos with tape measurements of the TR250 badge location on the bonnet.  I’m assuming the TR5 badge is in the same location?   I can post the photos if required.  

Cheers

Tush

Tush I have a template for the badge and some measurements where it should go but if you have any photo's would be much appreciated.

4 hours ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Ok, borrowed from another forum and saved to my files for my own reference...not sure who’s car this is but thank you!

EB5BD2F1-F8A8-466F-84C5-56D7881D305A.jpeg

7B6CC132-9E3D-4F42-B8EC-723625417CFA.jpeg

18270442-059C-48CA-B61E-E46CD4B97910.jpeg

66F353A5-F527-4E38-A191-CCCA219900DF.jpeg

91E63DC6-C661-40FD-85F6-E30E02DECD05.jpeg

Many thanks