Front exhaust fitment

I cannot seem to get the Moss replacement front exhaust pipe to clear the OD Housing. Ive just replaced the rear mount on the transmission hoping that would make a difference but no improvement. Your advice will be appreciated.

The pipe hits the OD housing at the upper arrow and is too low for the cruciform passage at the bottom one.

Tom

manifold pipe.jpg

exhaust.jpg

I don't like the look of those bends at all, cheap and nasty springs to mind. Its just not correct. I would be sending it back.

Iain

Edited by iain

I had to cut and alter the angle on that pipe as well, theyve not been that good for years, I also had to take about 3 inches off the front end of the next pipe on to get the silencer to clear the axle.

Stuart.

52 minutes ago, stuart said:

I had to cut and alter the angle on that pipe as well, theyve not been that good for years, I also had to take about 3 inches off the front end of the next pipe on to get the silencer to clear the axle.

Stuart.

Thanks Iain and Stuart but not really what I wanted to hear. I wonder if most suppliers use the same source?

Tom

I got mine from TRshop, fitted well, just a bit close to the frame at the big bend.

16 hours ago, TomMull said:

I cannot seem to get the Moss replacement front exhaust pipe to clear the OD Housing. Ive just replaced the rear mount on the transmission hoping that would make a difference but no improvement. Your advice will be appreciated.

The pipe hits the OD housing at the upper arrow and is too low for the cruciform passage at the bottom one.

Tom

manifold pipe.jpg

exhaust.jpg

Ask Roadster Factory what there’s is like to fit.  I doubt they source from where Moss do.

Peter W

9 hours ago, TomMull said:

ijonsson,

Does your car have an OD? I think mine would fit except for that.

Thanks for the reply,

Tom

Yes, I have A-type OD in a TR2, the support from gearbox is (I guess) TR4 model. Picture seen from above

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by ijonsson
18 hours ago, TomMull said:

A local club member sold me a NOS pipe supplied by JC Whitney about 50 years ago. Still had all the stickers on it with a bit of surface rust. It fit perfectly. If JC Whitney could get it right...

Tom

Rent it to the clowns who made the one you bought, that clearly was not going to fit, as a sample to copy and remake correctly for all those that come after you.

Peter W

I find it unbelievable that a 'top' TR parts supplier can sell such an obviously wrong piece.

Exhausts are almost classed as consummables, so how many have they supplied to the unsuspecting knowing that they are of very poor quality.

This is one of the reasons that I don't frequent Moss

james

1 hour ago, james christie said:

I find it unbelievable that a 'top' TR parts supplier can sell such an obviously wrong piece.

Exhausts are almost classed as consummables, so how many have they supplied to the unsuspecting knowing that they are of very poor quality.

This is one of the reasons that I don't frequent Moss

james

James, It was for those very reasons I removed my earlier rant.

Peter W

I installed a Moss exhaust to my long door car using a TR4 gearbox located exhaust mount. It was a bit of a fiddle but it did fit ok and has been good for the 565 miles it has done.

• 3 weeks later...

I have conversed with Moss USA technical support department and I thought the following information might be helpful.

Moss has kindly refunded my purchase price with no requirement for sending the pipe back and they are now working on the problem.

Tom

• 1 year later...

All you die hards sticking with mild steel. Must like having these problems every 5 years or so.  I had no bother at all with the Tourist Trophy stainless steel system supplied by Moss. Wonder why they dont just get Tourist to run off some mild steel ones to the same pattern they use for the stainless items.

Ralph

I had a mild steel exhaust system made by Mike The Pipe in Wallington and it needed one welding repair in 30 + years. I replaced the front box this year with one from Rimmers. After four trips to the welders I had a good fit. In all I could have had the local exhaust shop make one from scratch and no hassle. At least Moss did the right thing and made a refund to you.

Graham, I see you bought yours from Bastuck. I tried to buy some rad hoses from them, by email,  but there seems to be a problem with EU exports to UK . Where did you find a stockist  ?