Jump to content
TomMull

Front exhaust fitment

Recommended Posts

I cannot seem to get the Moss replacement front exhaust pipe to clear the OD Housing. Ive just replaced the rear mount on the transmission hoping that would make a difference but no improvement. Your advice will be appreciated.

The pipe hits the OD housing at the upper arrow and is too low for the cruciform passage at the bottom one.

Tom

 

manifold pipe.jpg

exhaust.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the look of those bends at all, cheap and nasty springs to mind. Its just not correct. I would be sending it back.

Iain

Edited by iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to cut and alter the angle on that pipe as well, theyve not been that good for years, I also had to take about 3 inches off the front end of the next pipe on to get the silencer to clear the axle.

Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, stuart said:

I had to cut and alter the angle on that pipe as well, theyve not been that good for years, I also had to take about 3 inches off the front end of the next pipe on to get the silencer to clear the axle.

Stuart.

Thanks Iain and Stuart but not really what I wanted to hear. I wonder if most suppliers use the same source?

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fireman049 said:

Hi Tom ~

Are you using a 'big bore' system?

Tom.

Standard exhaust in plain steel, Moss downpipe #860-000.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine from TRshop, fitted well, just a bit close to the frame at the big bend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TR shop one was better, but still needed some "adjustment"

Bob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TomMull said:

I cannot seem to get the Moss replacement front exhaust pipe to clear the OD Housing. Ive just replaced the rear mount on the transmission hoping that would make a difference but no improvement. Your advice will be appreciated.

The pipe hits the OD housing at the upper arrow and is too low for the cruciform passage at the bottom one.

Tom

 

manifold pipe.jpg

exhaust.jpg

Ask Roadster Factory what there’s is like to fit.  I doubt they source from where Moss do.

 

Peter W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TomMull said:

ijonsson,

Does your car have an OD? I think mine would fit except for that.

Thanks for the reply,

Tom

Yes, I have A-type OD in a TR2, the support from gearbox is (I guess) TR4 model. Picture seen from above

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

Edited by ijonsson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A local club member sold me a NOS pipe supplied by JC Whitney about 50 years ago. Still had all the stickers on it with a bit of surface rust. It fit perfectly. If JC Whitney could get it right...

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TomMull said:

A local club member sold me a NOS pipe supplied by JC Whitney about 50 years ago. Still had all the stickers on it with a bit of surface rust. It fit perfectly. If JC Whitney could get it right...

Tom

Rent it to the clowns who made the one you bought, that clearly was not going to fit, as a sample to copy and remake correctly for all those that come after you.

Peter W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it unbelievable that a 'top' TR parts supplier can sell such an obviously wrong piece.

Exhausts are almost classed as consummables, so how many have they supplied to the unsuspecting knowing that they are of very poor quality.

This is one of the reasons that I don't frequent Moss

james

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, james christie said:

I find it unbelievable that a 'top' TR parts supplier can sell such an obviously wrong piece.

Exhausts are almost classed as consummables, so how many have they supplied to the unsuspecting knowing that they are of very poor quality.

This is one of the reasons that I don't frequent Moss

james

James, It was for those very reasons I removed my earlier rant.

Peter W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed a Moss exhaust to my long door car using a TR4 gearbox located exhaust mount. It was a bit of a fiddle but it did fit ok and has been good for the 565 miles it has done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have conversed with Moss USA technical support department and I thought the following information might be helpful.

Moss has kindly refunded my purchase price with no requirement for sending the pipe back and they are now working on the problem.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done Tom, positive proof that open communication with the supplier works wonders.

Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.