Warm connections behind ignition switch

Had to replace the rear section of the ignition switch after the connection became unreliable and the power to fuel pump became intermittent.

All now good, except connections at rear seem far warmer than I’d like. Might the cables  be too small, or the connections themselves need to be better, ie cleaner?

I'd look at the cable connections/terminations for signs of Verdigris/oxidation as this will lead to increased resistance and heat Remake any dodgy ones.

Old copper wiring itself can deteriorate/oxidise (goes black) again leading to increased resistance if you remake the connections and you have enough wire strip it back 4-5 cm and see if its nice and shiny.  

Yes - the spade connectors do look ‘quite’ oxidised and the plastic covers have become brittle and darker (presume thru overheating?) So cut back and solder new spades onto good copper? And i guess I’ll keep checking for warmth as I’m really wary of the wiring  melting. 

Thanks Podone

Derek

Long ago I changed the power supply to my Bosch pump to a direct feed from the battery controlled by a relay operated from the existing ignition switch wiring. It avoids  the high current in the old wiring behind the dashboard and guarantees the pump gets 12V. One modification I can highly recommend.

Definitely do all of the checking and cleaning steps suggested, but realize that a conductor carrying current will heat up.  If currents are largish and long term, heating can be enough to feel, even with large conductors.

Ed