TR6 Crankshaft pulley

Hi everyone,

I have a Tr6 , cp 150 which i have completely rebuilt, the car came with a non standard crankshaft pulley, the car is making a horrible what sounds like a main/big bearing knock ! I have discovered that i can rotate the crankshaft pulley by some 8 degrees, i have not tried to tighten as i cannot see how this movement could occur other than because its knackered.The pulley bolt i have undone, does anyone recognise this pulely, i should be able to pull it off yes? i suppose even though it cannot have run more than half hour as  car not on the road yet it may have mullered the keyway and i am praying not the crankshaft keyway !  ....of course i could also have done something wrong & it may still be a bearing knock, praying not, anyone else had similar noise?

If anyone has suggestions or a new/replacement pulley that i can buy please get in touch as i am losing the will at the moment, desperate to know how to get it off.

Chris

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6119.JPG

A three or four legged pulley should pull it off. I presume you have removed the Rad. It is a lot easier to remove the bonnet then access is so much better.

It does look like there is no woodruff key in there though

Good luck.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Chris,

welcome to this forum.

I would do as Harry says.

The crankshaft material is quite hard (tough) so hopefully it is not damaged. Pulley’s can be bought new or SH. Make sure it is axially locked up, for example is the threaded bolt locks up in the bottom of the tapped hole, you may think it has tightened the pulley and sleeve but it has not.

Waldi

Chris,

If no room for the hydraulic puller, please see my post on this thread, fopr a limited access puller you can make:

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/70349-oil-leak-timing-chain-cover/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-641154

You say "non-standard" crank pulley - it looks right to me, with the windows in the hub.     Does the whole pulley move when you rotate it by hand?     It's not just a pulley, but a crank damper as well, with a rubber ring between the hub and the outer "inertia ring" that includes the pulley groove.   That is visible in your pics.   If the rubber has lost adhesion, then the outer ring can rotate on the hub, even let go completely.      Below is one from a 2L engine (similar design) that did so.

You can't see any Woodruff key, because of the boss on the fron of the damper.   This is a seperate part, that originally was drilled with four holes for the fan (See top item below)   Presume you have electric fan?

If you have any doubts about your damper pulley, I can test it for you.

John

Detatched seismic ring from 2L Vitesse.JPG

Edited by john.r.davies

thank you so much for your time, indeed i can move the outer pulley with timing marks,the centre bright steel is remaining stationery, as stated i can get approx 8 deg of movement backwards & forwards before locking, i am aware that i wouldnt be able to see the woodruff, been on this project prob 4 years cant remember much about the pulley, as you say i realise it is a harmonic damper too, i just hoping john that the noise is from the pilley & not something worse, thanks for the info on the puller, it also explains why my timing seemed to be drifting, probably can go back to the original dizzy now if i can find it ! is a GT6 Pulley same ? sure i got one of those somewhere. Chris.

Sorry yes has electric fan

DSXF6687.JPG

IMG_1651.JPG

If you can move the outer ring on the inner then it is no longer acting as a harmonic damper, and setting the ignition is complete guesswork.    Pointless getting me to test it - You need a new/rebuilt one, as the next event will be detatchment.      A ring weighing about a kilogram, spinning at anything up to 6000rpm and with the corresponding kinetics, would make a nasty mess of your lovely engine bay!

You can get them rebuilt, but I don't know of anyone in the UK that does so, or Rimmers sell them, rebuilt, but won't tell me where they get them done! (why should they, I suppose?).

John

Hi Chris, 

you've made my day:)

I’m sure you will like the forum, it is a good place to share experiences and learn from others.

John (above) has studied crank damper designs, and there are many other knowledgeable people on here, name a topic and several will show up with their thoughts.

The Dutch forum is not very active unfortunately and this is why I like this place.

Best regards,

Waldi