Triumph TR3/3A Door Lock Mechanism

During the course of a recent restoration I found it difficult to find the door lock mechanism. The item is not available from the usual commercial companies. So, I decided to produce a small number from scratch. I did a CAD drawing of the individual parts, these were then 3D printed to check the detail. The small production run is made up of laser cut and die cast parts, commercially available pinch bolt, clevis pin, and fasteners. The spring is a close copy of the original sourced from a well known Bristol supplier. Please check my classified ad if you are looking for a door lock mechanism.

Russell

IMG_8848.jpeg

IMG_8860.jpeg

Hi All

I know Russell personally, also live close enough to him to have seen these parts first hand.

They are exceptionally accurate, very good quality reproduction parts, which were copied from original Stanpart items.

I have checked, and you cannot buy the linkages new anywhere, which was a surprise to me.

Saying that, the parts (as usual) are far more complicated than they first appear, especially the lever with the spindle insert, which may possibly have been too expensive for other companies to replicate commercially.

Anyway Russell, well done for managing to do it.

I know it wasn't a simple or cheap thing to do. 

Cheers,

Simon (Westlake)

• 1 year later...

Mat, I drilled a hole through the square bar and used a split pin. By packing the distance between the split pin and the lever casting you can adjust the resting position of the exterior door handle to make it level. For me that was a good solution as my door handles were annoyingly not level, perhaps my doors were distorted.

John

DSCF7681.JPG

Edited by john minchin
Poor English
8 hours ago, john minchin said:

Mat, I drilled a hole through the square bar and used a split pin. By packing the distance between the split pin and the lever casting you can adjust the resting position of the exterior door handle to make it level. For me that was a good solution as my door handles were annoyingly not level, perhaps my doors were distorted.

John

DSCF7681.JPG

Thanks Rus! The picture explains it all…Simple but Genius… I will copy your idea. I think it will hold the handle tighter then the stock retaining ring and will not need to waist time trying to source the rings.

Thanks for the solution 

Thank you, pleased it worked.

As a matter of interest I have found the four sided star lock type spring washers almost impossible to find. I have managed to get a very small number from a well known supplier as a sample, but they will not last for ever. The company were able to sell me very large numbers indeed, numbers, and cost, that I would never be able to justify. If any one can find a supplier willing to sell me a hundred or so I would be happy to have them. Please note that the common star lock type spring washer is six sided, and  primarily used as a retainer on a circular shaft. The type I need is the four sided type ( as in the first picture ) to fit the 5/16 door handle shaft. 8mm is very close, and would work just as well.

Russell

10 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Russell,

I wonder if these would work. (They do different sizes.)

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/washers-for-captive-screws/14886-HCW-M8-BZP

Charlie

They might depends on how deep the dish is. maybe worth getting a few to try.

Stuart.

25 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Russell,

I wonder if these would work. (They do different sizes.)

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/washers-for-captive-screws/14886-HCW-M8-BZP

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I was looking at them about an hour ago and thought they may not work because they are designed for round bar.

But having looked at your pic they may well do the job as the sharp corners could well dig in enough to do a good job.

Certainly worth trying M6, M8

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger.

I have seen similar items before, and yes, they may? hold. I'm sure, just like you, it is always better to go down the correct route if you can. In the passed I have modified the odd engineering component only to find it has issues with the original overall design that I had not considered. 

Russell