Question on weber carbs

A question  on weber carbs 

I have had the 6 on webers for a while now, had it on the rolling road, performs great , love it,

Never had to pull the choke, for some reason the car now starts cracks back through the carbs, neil suggested 

I pull the choke a little, I did this and it solved the problem when warm push the choke in cars runs great,

Anybody got any idea why this has happened 

Thanks pink 

Hi Pink

I am certainly no expert as you will all know, but have Webers on my 3A. Like many Weber users, I have no choke. A couple of pumps on the gas before hitting the starter button, then a blip once fired up to settle the revs.

My view based on experience, is that over time they need a little readjustment. Mine were last fully adjusted about 4 years ago and I am conscious that they are slightly off tune and need rebalancing by someone who knows what they are doing. They give their best when tuned for optimum performance when you really need it. This often means a bit of sacrifice in smooth running at lower, town-pottering speeds. That just their nature.

If they choke thing works for you then fine. Otherwise perhaps a bit of a retune?

Miles

I have a Peugeot 205 Rallye with twin Webers, and find that when the mixture is a bit weak it spits back thru the carbs.

I also notice that the outside air temperature has a bearing on how the carbs are set, summer running is fine but have to tweek them a little when the temperature drops in the winter time. 

I also don't need to use the choke, just 2 full pumps on the accelerator pedal and starting is fine.

John

Worth checking that the 2 accelerator pumps are both still squirting fuel otherwise the couple of pumps before starting is doing nothing.

Chris

Wouldn't argue with you about that Neil. ;)

Aftermarket, though there seems to be a range of approaches and interesting that Pink has not previously need to choke his. Not right or wrong - just different.

Checked this afternoon and mine were in fact last fettled in April 2012, so definitely due some professional TLC when I can find the time!

Miles

Thank you for the replies, 

I did think it strange, when fitted, people said, dont fit the choke, not needed, 2 pumps and it will start,  if not needed why make the carb with a choke.

My conclusion is,  it will start and run, without choke, but will spit back, until it  warms up,  when warm it runs really well, if started with a small amount of choke no spit back, warms up push choke in, job done 

If a choke is not required,  I can only conclude it running rich,  I do get good economy , average 30 to the gallon 

Thanks to NTC for steering me in the right direction regarding webers, I think they are the dogs bullock's 

Especially if you are touring 

Regards pink 

My TR4 (4VC) is on twin HS6s, and I use choke to start, but within a mile or so, it's no longer required.  On a couple of occasions some years ago, I drove 3VC to NEC car shows, and I found it completely different.  Two pumps on the Webers to start, but I had to drive about 10 or 12 miles before it finally ceased to stall, hick and spit.

The SUs don't give the ultimate in performance, but they are far more user-friendly!

Ian Cornish

Your welcome pink ;) sounds like your rr man knows his stuff ( not many do alas ) do yourself a favour don't mess with them they will do mega miles.A bit like the pi system unless you do know what you are doing the rest is just a guessing game :lol:

You'll not go wrong with Peter Burgess Pinky, he's the best man I know and I trust no other for working or developing TR heads. He also has a state of the art rolling road which he's an absolute genius on and his own dynamometer which he's building the cell and commissioning, he will be able to tune 600hp engines then.    

Mick Richards