A Nice Rack -2.

Good afternoon... I have recently fitted a new steering rack (after the issues I outlined in my previous post 'a nice rack'), to TRoy, my 1970 TR6. 

I now have 2 problems:

1) The new (made in Argentina) rack doesn't have provision for a grease nipple; Is it worth having the blanking plug that holds the steering rack damper spring in place, adapted to take a nipple?  The plug is not interchangeable with the item from the 'old' rack.

2) I disconnected the lower steering column from its' flexible rubber coupling, in order to ease the fitting of the column to the pinion shaft. When I came to re-connect the coupling, I couldn't re-align the bolts with the threaded holes in the clamp on the end of the upper column, and I was starting to cross-thread one of the bolts. I gave up when I noticed that the coupling had started to split (through age, not my ham-fistery, I think!). I've now got a new rubber coupling (from TRGB), so I'm ready to try again. Do any of you have any tips or tricks, to make this job any less of a pig!

As ever, any advice will be most gratefully received!

Best wishes,

Paul.

3 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Bin the rubber and fit a standard knuckle joint?

Use a large hose clip to compress the rubber to make lining up the bolts easier, better to keep the rubber as its designed to part company in the event of an accident.

Stuart.

Keep the upper rubber coupling to have the chance to break it in the case of an accident, as Stuart told you.

I this already a safety steering column :ph34r:?? 

And to divide the steering shaft fast and easy for any repair job.

To get the bolts in line I always guide them with a water pump wrench, that is an easy job, you will be surprised.

Please have a look how far you can angle the tie rods of the new rack down, on mine it is less than on the old rack.

This will bring you in trouble when you lift the car, depending on the length of your shock absorbers.

A real problem if you ever lift the car without shock absorbers and the ties still connected.

Please check this.

Hi, just thought I'd let you know that I successfully fitted the previously mentioned rubber coupling yesterday, with the aid of water pump pliers & a jubilee clip,; this job would've been impossible without these aids. I now have a drivable TR6 again, so a big thank you to Stuart, Harvey, Andrew & Z320!

Best wishes & Happy TR'ing

Paul.