HI all,

I’m a recent purchaser of a TR6 and very happy to have joined the register.  It means I am a little new to all of this so bear with me.  Within my budget, I purchased the best car I could, but there are a couple of issues which I need to deal with (I think).  On my car, there is a small gap on the sill panel under the doors, at the front and back of the door.  I have marked them on the photos.  I am very conscious of water ingress and rust.  My plan was to either a) shoot waxoyl into the gap or b) seal it with a flexible seam sealer (3M or similar) or c) both of the above.

I would appreciate any advice you have before I proceed.

Thanks

Iain

B0609429-30BC-4E2F-B135-B4F66D9F0389.jpeg

878FBF74-CF5C-434D-B356-080955E9F43E.jpeg

Hi Iain,

Originally the sills  and bottom of the wings would have been coated with a rubberised substance called  body Shutz. This is not impossible to do  now, as the product is widely available, though not sure if available in a rattle can. if you have a compressor and a shutz gun, mask off the area above the swage line and at the back of the sill because it spits out everywhere, The Shutz if applied correctly should prevent the ingress of water.

There should also be a trim finisher strip riveted along there. It looks as if it is a CR series car so would have had the wide sill finisher.

I hope this helps.

Dave from Spain

I should think this out carefully, if you can guarantee that water will definitely NOT be able to get between the wings and the inner sill which the bottom of the wings cover then you could try with a suitable sealer. BUT there are slots along the bottom of the sill to let any water and moisture drain out and if there is ANY failure of a sealing system at either end or along the bottom seam your bottom of wings and front and rear sills will be TOAST. The trapped moisture will not evaporate or drain and it will positively encourage rotting.

Some owners remove front and rear wings and clean out any trapped mud or moisture inside the fitted wings at regular intervals (annual or bi annual) and there are close fitting underwing fibreglass panels to prevent the mud and water ingress. Stuart repairs and rebuilds these cars for a living and visits this forum nearly daily, his advice would be worth listening to.

Mick Richards 

Welcome!

Water will get into the gaps between the wings and the sills, it's inevitable. Whenever washing the car, use a hose to jet any accumulation of road dirt out of the join and occasionally spray in Waxoyl or your chosen cavity was into the gap.

Never use seam sealer or silicone, it will only trap moisture and rot the sills.

Nigel

Welcome to the forum Ian.

I agree with Nigel. If you see no rust you can do a high pressure waterwash and after drying squirt some waxoil in the gap, but do not seal.Bedt done next year with warm weather.

For the best result, the wings need to be removed, but I doubt this is needed, and it will probably from one thing to another.

Best regards,

Waldi