Part 34 passes through the holes in part 56 that correspond with the captive nuts in the leading edge of the hard top. Part 56 then is then glued to the hard top trapping the 'top hat' shaped part 34s in place. When you wrestle/manhandle the hard top into place the first thing you need to do is insert these two anti-crush spacers through the correct holes in the windscreen frame. Then lower the hard top down onto the car.

I assume 39 is the threaded female 'nut' welded to the rear crossmember of the hard top, beneath the back window, in which part 35 is screwed to provides some adjustment.

I'm putting mine back on this weekend. To be honest the whole thing is a bit Heath Robinson.

39 is a plastic cap that goes on the adjusting screw, 34 is the distance tube that fits into your header rail to stop you squashing it up when you tighten the front fixing bolt up.

Stuart.

Hmmm... I wonder whether fitment of these caps was patchy? I've had two original hardtops, and whilst I can't really recall whether the first had them or not I know for certain sure the second – the one I have now – did not because the trim was untouched and original (albeit very tatty and dirty) before I restored it last winter. .

Picture above is the same set up as mine.  Installed it yesterday.

image.jpeg

With dragonflies that big, I'd be scared to drive without some sort of roof covering!

Regards

Bill 

TR6 Hard Top fitting system is positively robust compared to an E type. I’m very impressed having just fitted one to the E then fitting the one to the 6. 

I reckon that I hit a bump at 60 the top would land somewhere else 

I put my hard top on yesterday. I hadn't driven a TR6 with a hard top since 1990. It's a completely different car, with it on. 

On mine, the fit around the top of the windscreen, and the top of the doors, is rubbish. Is it supposed to be rubbish? Or do I need to start adjusting windscreen, door glass, etc. If it always was rubbish, I'll leave as is. I'm talking about an inconsistent fit along the top of the windscreen frame – gaps at the corners, and the door glass only being on nodding aquaintance with the  seals around the roof.  I'll post some pics, to show how rubbish it is. 

Is there perhaps someone among us who could kindly give me the dimensions of the distance tube (part 34). It`s the only part missing om my recently purchased hardtop.

Thank you for the effort in advance

Harald

Edited by Harald
15 hours ago, AdrianH said:

I put my hard top on yesterday. I hadn't driven a TR6 with a hard top since 1990. It's a completely different car, with it on. 

I didn't think my radio worked.....until I put my hardtop on!!  Much quieter inside.  

Hi Harald sorry for my slow reply, I assume you are an engineer and will find it easy to make part 34.

I purchased an NOS hardtop from T D Fitchett (Triumph) Ltd Telford UK and got 2 part 34 from them, so they may have more, but I assume you will just make them, and being in Germany less hassle.

I found part 40 left and right-hand almost impossible to source, I did buy one from USA and then decided to have a friend make me a matching pair using the USA part as a template, and had them powder coated black.

Michael.  

Hello Michael, thank you for your message.  I could have ordered part 34 from Rimmer but have a very helpful colleague with a lathe.  Shipping costs and shipping time spoke against Rimmer.  Fortunately, I got the other hardware with the hardtop.  Best regards Harald